My hen keeps pecking at my other chickens how do I stop this?šŸ˜­

By free range do you mean if I let them out of their coop every other day? If so yes
Every other day isn't cutting it. They want to be out the majority of the time every day. Peepers can help but the issue is you have way too many birds for 48 sq ft of space so the stress of crowding and boredom is causing problems.

My recommendation is to rehome at least half the flock, or build a run so they can be outside daily, or commit to free ranging full time. 10 birds need a minimum of 100 sq ft of outside space and it's possible that may still not be enough.

Every other day isn't cutting it. They want to be out the majority of the time every day. Peepers can help but the issue is you have way too many birds for 48 sq ft of space so the stress of crowding and boredom is causing problems.

My recommendation is to rehome at least half the flock, or build a run so they can be outside daily, or commit to free ranging full time. 10 birds need a minimum of 100 sq ft of outside space and it's possible that may still not be enough.
Agreed. Having two feeders and waterers in this 48 square foot coop is not helping the problem. It's making it worse, as it's giving the chickens even less space to move around in. Ideally, you'd have these multiple feeders and waterers in a large outdoor run, and they would be so situated that a hen eating or drinking at one would not be able to see a hen eating or drinking at any other one, nor would she be able to control more than one at a time. In that way, nobody could be bullied or intimidated while eating or drinking.

Quite simply, you have too many birds for your facilities.

Iā€™ll try ordering one off of Amazon and see if thatā€™ll help. Also does it prevent them from seeing there food and water and is there like a certain time I should take it off or something like that? Iā€™ve never heard of these before but they might do the trick. Thank you!
If its a bantam breed you will need to trim the plastic pins that hold it in so it isn't rubbing. I used it for a bantam and she was able to eat and drink fine. You could also take the bully out for a few days then put her back in, might take her down a few notches in her attitude. If you can't build your coop wider can you add some ledges or shelves for them to sit on to give more vertical space in the meantime? As far as the glasses I just checked them from time to time to make sure they weren't rubbing but they stayed on.

Back
Top Bottom