My hen keeps pecking at my other chickens how do I stop this?😭

Chickens4572

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2022
I have this black feathered hen (don’t know what breed) and she keeps on pecking at my other hens. It’s to the point where she plucks their feathers out and leaves blood. I’ve tried separating her from the rest of the flock and it didn’t work. I should mention that she is a little bigger than the rest of my hens. She also doesn’t let them eat and when they try to she pecks at them which scares them away. Same with water. I don’t know what to do😭 and I don’t want to put her down either :( Can someone please help me and tell me what I can do to stop this😭

How big is their coop and run? Do they have enough room? Often bored birds will act like this. It could also be that she is not getting enough protein. Is she eating the feathers or just pulling them out? You also need to make sure there are multiple food and water stations spread throughout. She can’t possibly guard all of them.

How big is their coop and run? Do they have enough room? Often bored birds will act like this. It could also be that she is not getting enough protein. Is she eating the feathers or just pulling them out? You also need to make sure there are multiple food and water stations spread throughout. She can’t possibly guard all of them.
Their coop is around an 8x6, she’s only pulling their feather out not eating them, there’s 2 feeders and 1 water station we had 2 but it broke a few days ago. When I add food to the first feeder she immediately goes to it and guards it. Which makes my other hens go to the second one and then the 2nd one gets overcrowded and not everyone is able to eat until one bird leaves then the other one can eat. My black feathered hen also has a buddy so that one goes to the second feeder as well and also starts pecking at my other hens :/ There’s 10 chickens in the coop (yes, I know that’s kinda a lot but we’re working on making it bigger just haven’t had much time) They also have this thing where they can hangout at it’s it’s not on the ground.

Their coop is around an 8x6, she’s only pulling their feather out not eating them, there’s 2 feeders and 1 water station we had 2 but it broke a few days ago. When I add food to the first feeder she immediately goes to it and guards it. Which makes my other hens go to the second one and then the 2nd one gets overcrowded and not everyone is able to eat until one bird leaves then the other one can eat. My black feathered hen also has a buddy so that one goes to the second feeder as well and also starts pecking at my other hens :/ There’s 10 chickens in the coop (yes, I know that’s kinda a lot but we’re working on making it bigger just haven’t had much time) They also have this thing where they can hangout at it’s it’s not on the ground.
Hmm that’s weird then! That should theoretically be enough space. Do they have a run too? I would add even more feeders and waterers if possible even if it’s one more.

Hmm that’s weird then! That should theoretically be enough space. Do they have a run too? I would add even more feeders and waterers if possible even if it’s one more.
No, they don’t have a run our backyard isn’t to big so we only made them a coop. I’ll try to add one more feeder and see if that’ll help with the feeding time problem. Another water station as well. Thank you for your help!

No, they don’t have a run our backyard isn’t to big so we only made them a coop. I’ll try to add one more feeder and see if that’ll help with the feeding time problem. Thank you for your help!
Ah okay. Do they free range at all? And okay good idea

Those plastic granny glasses would work (anti-pecking glasses), I used them once for a mean hen.
I’ll try ordering one off of Amazon and see if that’ll help. Also does it prevent them from seeing there food and water and is there like a certain time I should take it off or something like that? I’ve never heard of these before but they might do the trick. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom