my hen laid a piece of meat

BJfox

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 2, 2013
My year old hen that had been laying either very fragile shelled eggs or eggs with jut the membrane. June 1st my dog had attacked her and ripped out all but one tail feather and all the downy feathers around her vent. At the time, something that look liked intestines partially came out but went back inside her body.

Once she healed she started laying the afore mentioned eggs. . . until today. When I first went out today she was sitting in one of the nesting boxes. I went out a little bit later to get the egg before it became a mess in the nesting box. But attached it what I found
20210726_110657.jpg
20210726_111442.jpg
Today she laid a piece of what look like meat. The first picture is what I got from the box with a putty knife and the second is the inside after i had cut it with the same knife and rinsed it off (I have more pictures)

Looks like a lash egg which is the result of Salpingitis ,an inflammation of the oviduct..One of our hens just recently died from it after having the disease for months(we didnt find out it was her laying the lash eggs until one day she suddenly had high fever so i seperated her and she laid another one of these right before she died)

It's a lash egg. She likely has an infection and may need antibiotics.
Thank you so much. I'd never heard of that. Several years ago, one of my hens laid a little piece (dime size) of 'meat', but then it never happened again. My other hens have stopped laying all together around the time the younger hen was attacked. At the time I assumed they were all scared by the dog, but now I wonder. They are 3 years old . Could they have caught the same thing?

She doesn't likely have an infection she has one that is usually deadly if not treated quickly with antibiotics.

What exactly do you feed your flock?
What you feed matters and makes a huge difference in your flock's health and preventing infections like this.

Great info:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/disorders-of-the-reproductive-system
ahhhhhh. . . I am not clear; think you did a typo. You said she doesn't likely have an infection. . .did you mean she DOES likely have one?

I used to feed them an organic layer feed, but it seemed like they changed the formula and it was mostly dust. In early December I started mixing my own. one part wheat, 1/2 part peas, oats, barley; a handfull of sunflower seeds, alfalfa pettets. I had also added corn, but stopped when it got hot. I added Poultry Grit and Nutria Balancer (the amounts depending on the weight of the mix). I do find they waste a lot of it (but they always do that). I have to grind the wheat, peas and alfalfa pellets. I also have oyseter shells on the side for them to eat at will.

They all seem happy and healthy, even the one who laid the thing. For a while this spring a lot of wild birds were flying into the run where their food was, but they seemed to forget it was there once I kept the hens locked in the run while I let the grass seed I planted grow. That was about a 6 week stint, that ended maybe a month ago.

ahhhhhh. . . I am not clear; think you did a typo. You said she doesn't likely have an infection. . .did you mean she DOES likely have one?

I used to feed them an organic layer feed, but it seemed like they changed the formula and it was mostly dust. In early December I started mixing my own. one part wheat, 1/2 part peas, oats, barley; a handfull of sunflower seeds, alfalfa pettets. I had also added corn, but stopped when it got hot. I added Poultry Grit and Nutria Balancer (the amounts depending on the weight of the mix). I do find they waste a lot of it (but they always do that). I have to grind the wheat, peas and alfalfa pellets. I also have oyseter shells on the side for them to eat at will.

They all seem happy and healthy, even the one who laid the thing. For a while this spring a lot of wild birds were flying into the run where their food was, but they seemed to forget it was there once I kept the hens locked in the run while I let the grass seed I planted grow. That was about a 6 week stint, that ended maybe a month ago.
Kiki meant: She doesn't 'likely' have an infection, she does have an infection. And a deadly one at that.

Oh yeah. . .i have a compost pile that they dig in regularly. I put grass, leaves, kitchen (veggies) scraps, tops of strawberries in it or straight to them; meal worms. They have free run my my whole back yard (not dog part) They had gotten into my potatoes and ate some. .

Back
Top Bottom