My Hen mallard died on me today????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wngsttr, Feb 17, 2012.

1. wngsttr

wngsttr Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Jackson, Ca.
    I've been raising two Mallard . one he and on she. I supprisingly look in thier coop and mama was just laying there dead. I cannot figure out why she did this. All the other chick and guinieas are fine . Daddy duck seems to be lost. I'm afraid that he will fly away now looking for another mate. All my critters are free ranged and go back to thier coop every nite...Mistery I'm a new egg and would appreciate any feed back cause I'd like to know..????

2. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    I would be baffled too. I'll give you a little bump to the top and hope someone comes along to offer some ideas.

Obviously something internal, like poisoning, or you would have seen clues. (If it were a predator).

Anything you can think of that was "off"? Hind sight is 20/20.

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    What were they eating? Was she laying eggs? How old? What else are they housed with? How big is the coop? How many other birds are house with them?

If you dont want your drake flying off I would get another hen or two. Just for company.

4. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Definitely get another hen or two, but I wouldn't worry about the drake flying off. He knows where home is at this point.

5. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    If I find a female bird suddenly dead, I suspect egg binding. Had she been laying?

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Everyone else has cover the basics but I'm so sorry for your loss [​IMG]

7. wngsttr

wngsttr Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Jackson, Ca.
    She was eating gamebird chow. She is housed at night in the chicken coop with the others. She was not laying. She is 10 months old.I have about 10 other birds mostly chickens. When I looked in her mouth it was full of feed. I wondered if she choked from it. Baffleing.??

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Possibly she did, did she have acsess to water? so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

9. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    If her mouth was full of food it sounds like choking. Remember they HAVE to have water 24/7 for drinking. Ducks need water to help swallow there food. Sorry for your loss. I would find 2 more females for your male.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by