My Hen mallard died on me today????

wngsttr

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 27, 2011
Jackson, Ca.
I've been raising two Mallard . one he and on she. I supprisingly look in thier coop and mama was just laying there dead. I cannot figure out why she did this. All the other chick and guinieas are fine . Daddy duck seems to be lost. I'm afraid that he will fly away now looking for another mate. All my critters are free ranged and go back to thier coop every nite...Mistery I'm a new egg and would appreciate any feed back cause I'd like to know..????

I've been raising two Mallard . one he and on she. I supprisingly look in thier coop and mama was just laying there dead. I cannot figure out why she did this. All the other chick and guinieas are fine . Daddy duck seems to be lost. I'm afraid that he will fly away now looking for another mate. All my critters are free ranged and go back to thier coop every nite...Mistery I'm a new egg and would appreciate any feed back cause I'd like to know..????
I would be baffled too. I'll give you a little bump to the top and hope someone comes along to offer some ideas.

Obviously something internal, like poisoning, or you would have seen clues. (If it were a predator).

Anything you can think of that was "off"? Hind sight is 20/20.

What were they eating? Was she laying eggs? How old? What else are they housed with? How big is the coop? How many other birds are house with them?

If you dont want your drake flying off I would get another hen or two. Just for company.

Everyone else has cover the basics but I'm so sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

She was eating gamebird chow. She is housed at night in the chicken coop with the others. She was not laying. She is 10 months old.I have about 10 other birds mostly chickens. When I looked in her mouth it was full of feed. I wondered if she choked from it. Baffleing.??

Possibly she did, did she have acsess to water? so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

She was eating gamebird chow. She is housed at night in the chicken coop with the others. She was not laying. She is 10 months old.I have about 10 other birds mostly chickens. When I looked in her mouth it was full of feed. I wondered if she choked from it. Baffleing.??

If her mouth was full of food it sounds like choking. Remember they HAVE to have water 24/7 for drinking. Ducks need water to help swallow there food. Sorry for your loss. I would find 2 more females for your male.

Back
Top Bottom