My hen sounds hoarse/wheezy and sneezed a couple of times

MTX_chickens

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2022
Hello. I have 3 laying hens (2 Delawares and 1 Buff Orpington). They are 18-20 months old and have been great layers as well as pets. My family and just arrived back home from a couple of days out of town. When I got home I went out to the couple to change to give them fresh water and let the roam. It been high 90s here so my mom in law came by daily to check on them as well as turn the misters off in the evening.
Upon seeing me, I was greeted in the usual noisy way but I noticed one of my Delawares sound hoarse and scratchy. I swear I heard what sounded like a sneeze a couple of times too. Her eyes and ears look clear with no mucous. She is acting just as normal as usual and running all over my backyard. I did notice that my mom in law left the misters running last night so the ground was little more wet than what is typical.
Am I being overly concerned or could she have CRD? Do I need to separate her from the others? Do I need to put her on medication and if so what would that be. Unfortunately I don’t know of any poultry vets out here in Midland Texas.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

Chris

I don't have any idea if this is the same situation, but late last week, my "accidental house chicken (long story)" suddenly began making noises that sound similar to what you are describing, including a few sneezes. Since she lives indoors, I could eliminate many environmental possibilities.

Like your girl, she looked normal, no visible mucus; her energy level was fine and so was her appetite. It was unseasonably hot -- in the 90s -- and fairly dry. My vet suggested Dottie may have been suffering from allergies (who knew chickens do that? Not me.) and that I give her a quarter of a Benadryl tablet. A few hours later, Dottie was fine, and it hasn't happened again. Doctor also suggested aspirin if I didn't have Benadryl, but I don't remember the dosage.

Others may have different ideas on what was happening with your girl. Best wishes for her.

Back
Top Bottom