My Hen thinks she’s a Rooster?

AbigaelR

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2019
Kansas
Hey all!

I have two hens, and one very docile Americana/Leghorn mix Rooster. He was placed with the adult hens when he was fairly young but he is coming up on a year.

He does his dipped wing dance to my Barred Rock Hen and she either ignores him, chases him off, or dips her wing and does a little jig right back! Does anyone else’s hens dance back to their roosters? Does this mean anything? Or does she think she’s a rooster lol.

My guess is that she is signalling him to back off, reminding him that he's lower than her on the pecking order. One of my dominant hens used to do this to my younger, lower-on-the-totem-pole hens.

Interesting!! I’ve never seen her do it to any of the other hens. Usually she will peck or chase them off. I’ve only seen her “dance” to the rooster. Thanks

Hey all!

I have two hens, and one very docile Americana/Leghorn mix Rooster. He was placed with the adult hens when he was fairly young but he is coming up on a year.

He does his dipped wing dance to my Barred Rock Hen and she either ignores him, chases him off, or dips her wing and does a little jig right back! Does anyone else’s hens dance back to their roosters? Does this mean anything? Or does she think she’s a rooster lol.
I'm wondering the same thing. My 17 week old rooster dipped his wing to an older hen today and she did it back to him. It looked like it confused him and he walked away Lol

Back
Top Bottom