My "hen" turned out to be a roo! So what IS he?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GA_Gypsy, Nov 21, 2013.

1. GA_Gypsy

GA_Gypsy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    N. Georgia
    Farmer swore this was going to be a hen but I guess we can all be wrong sometimes! BIG surprise last week when he heard "her" wake up the neighborhood. Not sure if we can keep him or not so I was wondering what he was first. He is SOOOOO sweet and would hate to get rid of him :(

[​IMG]

2. That is a BEAUTIFUL bird! [​IMG] He is looks amazing!!!! HE IS SO PRETTY!!! I think he is a Barred Rock X Americauna. I love your rooster!

3. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    hee hee from the looks of him there shouldn't have been any surprise on your part when neighbourhoods for woken up :). roo is beautiful

4. GA_Gypsy

GA_Gypsy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    N. Georgia
    Yes, he is a beauty! My camera phone doesn't do him justice. We got him when he was about 6 weeks old so it was anyone's guess back in June. It was only about 2 weeks ago when those big feathers popped out....and then his voice! I was guessing he was an Ameraucana mix, too. But then what do I know (apparently not much)! hehe

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Are those feathers on his legs? How many toes does he have?

He's definitely a mixed breed, and one parent was barred. I'm just wondering if the other parent was maybe something like a Faverolle. That would explain the beard/muffs, feathered legs that are not dark like an ee/ameraucana............but not that comb.

How about an olive egger? Ameraucana or Easter egger mixed with cuckoo Marans....I think that could fit. Cuckoos often don't have heavily feathered legs, if the ee/amer parent was maybe splash would explain the blue color.

6. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

Did your town say no to roosters? Because I've heard that you can keep them as long as all the neighbors that will hear him are ok with it. He is such a pretty rooster!

7. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

Very handsome roo.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I've never seen a rooster that color! He's a very beautiful mixed breed.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Very pretty! I don't think I've ever seen a male chicken that looked like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by