My hen was attacked and killed (graphic pics)...I am devastated

Do not use tea tree oil on your bird! It is toxic to small animals. Clean the wounds with peroxide and cover with Neosporin. Bandages are more of a distraction than they are worth, so don't bother. I like Blukote wound dressing, but wait a few days before putting that on because you will need to watch the areas for signs of infection. Keep them clean with weak salt water and smeared with the Neosporin. If the wounds get angry red, stinky, hot to the touch or start oozing lots of fluid, then you may need to start an antibiotic. Keep him warm and dry, and away from the rest of the flock until he heals or nearly so. He doesn't need anyone picking at his wounds which the other birds will do if they see them.

Ok thank you! I cleaned the wound area with some diluted peroxide and then covered with Neosporin. I didn't see any bad puncture wounds that I could tell so hopefully it will heal pretty quickly. Just a lot of dried blood and feathers plucked out--I could tell if there were any other wounds. Thanks!

I agree with CMV!! When any of my birds get seriously injured they go straight to "the box" with a chick heat lamp!! I also enjoy Blukote!

I have troubles with foxes and I have had a couple of different "incedences".... Here is a pick from Aggie... Who escaped the foxy loxy when I hollered! She was missing ALL of her tail feathers and had huge puncture wounds! The puncture wounds are on her back... under the feathers.

40114_hpim3578.jpg

I agree with everyone else who said that it was probably a hawk... I don't have any experience with them but have heard a lot about them!

I once lost a hen to a fox and was missing her for weeks. Well, one day I found her! Half eaten and decayed!
sickbyc.gif
I felt terrible!! She was missing bones and things that were mentioned above so, YES, I think your case is a hawk!!

My Chooks Chick

sorry about your loss, but in my experience... a dog would not have stopped until it killed all your birds.

that was likely a hawk.

so sorry... i know just how awful you feel. I lost 1/2 my flock this week to a dog.

Back
Top Bottom