My Hens are dying!!!

crazychicmomma

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2017
I’ve had 2 hens pass away all of a sudden in the past 2 days!!! They’re mostly free range. They get a good quality layers feed and fresh clean water. I do my best to keep their coop clean.

I did introduce 3 new hens in a couple weeks ago not sure if that’s what is making them sick. If so, is there anything I can give the rest of my hens really do not want anymore getting sick if I can prevent it!!!! I added oil of oregano to their water when the first one passed on Monday....

Did you do a quarantine on the new birds?Its common for new birds to cause diseases into your flock.

If they are suddenly dying its hard to know exactly whats killing them.You could try contacting your local state poultry lab and ask for a necropsy on the dead birds.

I’ve had 2 hens pass away all of a sudden in the past 2 days!!! They’re mostly free range. They get a good quality layers feed and fresh clean water. I do my best to keep their coop clean.

I did introduce 3 new hens in a couple weeks ago not sure if that’s what is making them sick. If so, is there anything I can give the rest of my hens really do not want anymore getting sick if I can prevent it!!!! I added oil of oregano to their water when the first one passed on Monday....

Hi @crazychicmomma :frow Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
Can you give us a few more details:
How old are your chickens?
Did you observe any symptoms in the 2 that you lost - lethargy, respiratory symptoms, etc.?
If the ones you lost were of laying age - did they lay eggs normally, any swelling, bloat or fluid in the abdomen? Were their eggs normal?
Were the 2 that you lost your original hens or new ones?

It's very hard to know the cause of death without testing/necropsy. You don't mention where you are located, but if you are in the US, refrigerating and sending a body to your state lab may give you some answers - you can find a list of state labs here:
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Last edited:
These new hens may have brought a new strain of Coccidiosis into your flock that your chickens are not used to.
Get Corid asap.

Both were my original hens. One was a little over a year old, americana, and the other 7mths old, polish. Nothing noted at in the polish. The Americana I thought was a little anitsocial and slightly pale comb but really thought I was reading to much into it... noticed the symptoms last week and was watching her she would eat and drink and free range some with the other but then lay in the sun on her own.

I’m in FL and they said to wait and c if any one acts sick or if another dies and bring them in for testing.

The polish May have just started laying eggs and the other wasn’t really laying since beginning of August I think my girls are in the molting stage but they losing some feather and regrowing.. when they did lay nothing abnormal with eggs noted

Back
Top Bottom