My hens are fighting! What do I do?

chknmama

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Sacramento
I have 3 hens who have been raised together from day old chicks, they are over 2 years old now. They have always gotten along well and I've never had any problems. A couple days ago Violet (she seems to be instigating) started to fight with Beatrice. We had to break them up and separate them to different parts of the yard and they seemed to settle down. Beatrice has been broody and I put her out of the coop tonight and Violet rushed her as she was trying to get water. I split them up and then later Violet really went after her and my other hen Mabel started to peck at her also. They drew blood on her, she has wounds on her comb, wattle and near her eye. I have her separated now from the others. I have a large pet carrier i am going to set up for her so she can heal, but ultimately I need them to all be together. They have a good sized coop and plenty of yard space. How do I deal with this behavior?

Isolate the bully for at least a week. This shakes up the pecking order, and the bully should drop down in the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom