My hens are getting ready to lay?!

Chicky91

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 7, 2014
Ok so found one egg. Now the rest of the flock are going into the hen houses laying down adn making loud noises! they leave the box after a few moments tho and cluck loudly. Is this normal?

Ok so found one egg. Now the rest of the flock are going into the hen houses laying down adn making loud noises! they leave the box after a few moments tho and cluck loudly. Is this normal?
gig.gif
You bet it is!! It's enough to drive you crazy, isn't it?? When my girls first started laying I had one who I call Ms. Neurotic, she'd bwok and bwok constantly....in the coop, outta the coop...in the coop, outta the coop...drove me nutso! Just leave them alone, they'll finally figure out what's going on. But yes, it is craziness at first for sure...good luck!!

How many chickens? How many nest boxes? Sounds like mine did when they didn't have enough privacy. Are they screaming 'get out of my box' to each other? Curtains fixed it for me.

Now I'll get as many as three laying at the same time.

But if it's the I just laid an egg song, then nothing will fix that. That is VERY normal!!

Good luck!

4 chicken about 5 nesting boxes. maybe it can be they need curtains. Other chicken hop in the box and check to see what the fuss is all about lol. but they sit in and move the hay make loud weird noises and then the leave and act like nothing happened lol

It is crazy! my son keeps checking to see if there eggs but it sounds like it'll be soon!!!!
ya.gif

It is crazy! my son keeps checking to see if there eggs but it sounds like it'll be soon!!!!
ya.gif
Get a baby monitor and set it in the coop. I got cheap surveillance cameras at Walmart when mine were young…placed one in coop could see who entered nests and hear them…but behind privacy curtains of course. Too much fun, never got any house duties done during those days.
pop.gif

I actually have one from when my son was born. Good idea. Can it be any old curtains/cloth?

You don't really have to put up curtains, but my girls love theirs. Don't know your coop/nest arrangement. My first were stapled above nests. Used velcro on all since. They do get soiled and didn't want to keep removing those staples. Any fabric you want, old towel, dish cloths or old clothes will do. I save old jeans and they hold up quite well. But choose something that won't hurt if they peck it…and bet they do. When mine were close to start laying, they investigated, played with the curtains - pulling and pecking the fabric, walked in and out of the nests. Almost as much fun to watch as when you start collecting a basketful of eggs.

Pic is the first set with ceramic eggs…trying to make sure the girls would understand what the nests were for. My camera is mounted high and angles down so I can see that someone is in nest, but not witness the private stuff.

If you are using a portable baby monitor, try to place it where your pullets won't be able to peck it…chickens are really smart and would probably turn it off.

Back
Top Bottom