My hens are laying eggs.

Kimmys78

Chirping
Sep 25, 2020
Hello all being new to chickens, I have a stupid question. I have four hens and I am trying to figure out how many are laying. I am certain it is three because I have three eggs every other day and then two eggs on the other days. So is the only way I can tell if all four are laying is to have four eggs?

Hello all being new to chickens, I have a stupid question. I have four hens and I am trying to figure out how many are laying. I am certain it is three because I have three eggs every other day and then two eggs on the other days. So is the only way I can tell if all four are laying is to have four eggs?

There is another way. On here we call it "chicken stalking". Hang around all day checking to see who's on the nest. It's a good COVID project.

Once they get going, chickens lay about 2/3 days (more or less depending on breed, weather, and individual laying habits), so it could be a while before all 4 "cycle together" and happen to lay on the same day.

If your hens are different colors, you could put up a trail camera to see who is going into the nesting boxes. Are all 4 the same breed? I'm just wondering if the eggs are all the same color.

There’s no such thing as a stupid question! I agree with what @aart said. They may not align, but it’s not impossible to get 4 a day one day. I have gotten an egg a day for a week straight from my EE pullet who laid her first egg last Wednesday. I assume she’ll slow down, but your hens could produce 4 eggs a day on a rare occasion. Though I think 3 would be more likely.

Maybe never...some birds only lay 3-4 eggs a week and their days on may not align.
What breeds do you have....and how old are they, in weeks or months?
Here's some tips about .....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
Checking and comparing vent appearance and pelvic point spacing works best.
I know my Cinnamon Queen is and my Rhode Island Red. I also have a Salmon Favorolle and a Golden Wyandotte. I have seen all but my Golden in the nesting box. I have found two eggs by their water otherwise all the rest have been in box. They are 28 weeks

If your hens are different colors, you could put up a trail camera to see who is going into the nesting boxes. Are all 4 the same breed? I'm just wondering if the eggs are all the same color.
I have a RIR, Cinnamon Queen, Golden Wyandotte and a Salmon Favorolle. All brown eggs

Back
Top Bottom