My hens are scared of the new feeder... should I paint it?

pasta514

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 26, 2008
Peninsula - SF Bay, California
I built this new feeder and hung it on the outside of the coop but the hens are a'scared of it. I even put corn in it to tempt them, but no luck.

I'm going to poke it through the wire so it's on the inside, but before I do that I want to make sure they are going to be OK with it. I noticed he other feeders like this are made of white pipe. Does the color have something to do with it? Do they think it's a snake?

7936_dcp_0165.jpg

That is the most awesome feeder!

Why do you think your chickens are scared of it? Could you pick up one of your chickens and take it over by it, and hold onto the chicken while showing it the corn? Maybe put their water near it, too...

Sorry - I don't know the answer, but I was curious is the bottom "bowl" part a normal pipe part you can find or did you make it? Would love the details.

Only experience I had with the girls not taking to something new, was when I left off the rocks in the waterer, once they got big enough not to need them. They didn't recognize the watering hole without the rocks, so I put them back in only fewer and they used it.

I was about the suggest you should paint it the color of their old feeder, but can chickens see color????
idunno.gif

maybe put their old feeder in the new one if possible so they recognize the food place.

good luck.

Chickens are suspicious of anything new in their environment. You could try putting some special treat in it. That usually works for our flock.

i second the opinion above...they just don't know what to make of it yet; just like any new item added to their environment.

try putting a few berries up there...bright strawberries should do the trick.

Holy COW - I WANT ONE!

Just leave it, they'll soon get used to how it looks. Perhaps put their current feeder near it and move it closer once or twice a day.

Quote:
I tried just that with my worst corn-hound, you know, the one that comes running ANYTIME the garage door closes, the one that will peck your feet or your legs if she thinks you've go a treat for her... well anyway she would not go near it for any amount of tempting. I picked her up and gently put her beak in the bowl with the corn and she wouldn't bite
big_smile.png

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom