My hens butt fell out of her actual butt. HELP!!!

chicken_angler

Coop Constructist
11 Years
Jun 23, 2008
a house
Yesterday my NHR's butt got all pasty with white poop. Now it looks like her butt inards fell out all the way . My friend and my neighboor said that she is blocked up and there isnt much that I can do to help her. What can I do, if anything, to help her? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I could be wrong, but I think thats called "prolapsed vent." If so, its been talked about multiple times if I'm not mistaken. You might try the search feature and look up some older posts. I dont know anything about it, other than I dont think there is much you can do.

Do a search for "prolapse" to get more detailed information, but I think it usually goes something like this: gently clean her with a warm wet cloth, lubricate your finger (gloved or not), and GENTLY ease the protruding tissue back into the vent. You can use some preparationH or KY jelly or vaseline (don't use anything with a painkiller that ends in 'caine' in it; it can be toxic to chickens). You may have to repeat this process periodically until the tissue remains inside.

sickbyc.gif
Gross!

But good to know!

Just for future knowledge; can you post a picture?

AND

Would I "try" and get it all back at one time or at short intervals in a day?

Last edited:
Perhaps you can keep her in a dark quiet place where she can be alone and comfortable, after you give her a treatment of jelly or what others have suggested. This way she doesn't have the stress of laying an egg if she doesn't have to has a chance to heal up. Good luck with her.
smile.png

Thanks for all the help guys. She is not laying yet so i dont have to worry about that. You guys want a picture? I don't think I can get one because her vent is all covered in white poop and i cant get it off with water or anything.

Is she still prolapsed? If so you need to get her cleaned up and keep working at getting it back in. And keep it moist-do not let a prolapse dry out.

I must make a similar post so as not to hijack. Cuz a bird laid her first egg then partly prolapsed........

DO POST A PHOTO

And my heart goes out to you

Back
Top Bottom