MY HENS BUTT IS RAW AND RED, WHAT IS IT?????

11 out of my 12 buff hens look like they need to put pants on. My DH says they are biker chicks cause they look like they are wearing chaps with nothing underneath
big_smile.png

Anyway, none of my banty girls look like that.
My crew are feather pickers, I've seen them do it. There is never a feather lying around.

After reading some other post on this,
I started giving them cat food in addtion to their layer feed everyday for a month now plus, as soon as I let them out, the first place they go is the dog bowl and eat up all of her food.

I have seen no change in their behavior.
I have this same problem right now with one of my leghorns. I have a couple questions....what does the Tums do mixed with the desitin? and what type of cat food? canned? I have learned so much from all you knowledgable people.

My 2 year old hen has the same thing, although her butt was caked with poo. I gave her a warm bath and got it off, but she can now barely walk in addition to the red, swollen butt. I don't know how it happened. One day fine, next day walking like a penguin and all that poo. Could she be egg bound? Would that cause the pasty butt though? I have her separated from the other hens and am hand feeding her. She wont drink any water, unless I drop it in her mouth. :-( I'm so worried!

Quote: I have this same problem right now with one of my leghorns. I have a couple questions....what does the Tums do mixed with the desitin? and what type of cat food? canned? I have learned so much from all you knowledgeable people.

update: I tried a few of the suggestions here: first I tried the tums with the scrambled eggs, no way, now she won't touch scrambled egg. next I tried the warm bath with Epsom's salts. she loved it. I really thought I would lose her. she stood up to sleep all puffed up and was hot to the touch. she had the watery yellow poop and didn't want to eat or drink. I thought she was egg bound. I tried canned salmon cat food she didn't like that either. I did some research and found that she had some symptoms of worms so I tried canned pumpkin. she loves it. although I haven't seen any worms, she is amazingly better. I then added boiled egg yolk with the pumpkin. she ate it all. yesterday I found her on the roost, she's eating feed again and drinking better. after her bath she started preening. I also gave her some cooked broccoli which is rich in calcium also. she has never passed any reminisce of an egg and so far hasn't produced any eggs. I'm not sure why she was ill, but glad she is doing better. how long can she go without an egg before I should become concerned? I should also mention we had a parasite problem and we completely emptied the coop and treated everything and the dusted the birds, right after is when chickie got sick.

Last edited:
Please check into Vent Gleet. If ur hen has a red bottom & above her tail & it's swollen, & may have feather loss most likely has Vent Gleet. Vent Gleet is a fungal or yeast infection. Best thing to do is give her a warm Epson salt bath once a day for 4-5 days & blow dry her with a hair dryer on low heat. (They love the soothing bath & all chickens love being blow dryed even more). After their bum is mostly dry, then smear athletes foot fungal cream on her 2x a day for 4-5 days. I have had to treat 2 of my hens with this condition recently. It is not contagious but can be spread if a rooster mates with her. I also quarantined them only because I wanted to control their diet. I gave them 1/2 c live plain yogurt, mixed with 1/4 c wheat germ, & 1/4 c layer mash all mixed together. My results were great. I found this info on Tilley's Nest site. She has amazing info on all natural remedies that have always worked for my hens. Also I put Organic Apple Cider vinegar in my hens water at least 3 days a week. I use a gallon size bucket from ice-cream for their water & put 1-2 tsp in the gallon bucket. The ACV (apple cider vinegar) keeps chickens system healthy. Any questions please contact me. Good luck

Please check into Vent Gleet. If ur hen has a red bottom & above her tail & it's swollen, & may have feather loss most likely has Vent Gleet. Vent Gleet is a fungal or yeast infection. Best thing to do is give her a warm Epson salt bath once a day for 4-5 days & blow dry her with a hair dryer on low heat. (They love the soothing bath & all chickens love being blow dryed even more). After their bum is mostly dry, then smear athletes foot fungal cream on her 2x a day for 4-5 days. I have had to treat 2 of my hens with this condition recently. It is not contagious but can be spread if a rooster mates with her. I also quarantined them only because I wanted to control their diet. I gave them 1/2 c live plain yogurt, mixed with 1/4 c wheat germ, & 1/4 c layer mash all mixed together. My results were great. I found this info on Tilley's Nest site. She has amazing info on all natural remedies that have always worked for my hens. Also I put Organic Apple Cider vinegar in my hens water at least 3 days a week. I use a gallon size bucket from ice-cream for their water & put 1-2 tsp in the gallon bucket. The ACV (apple cider vinegar) keeps chickens system healthy. Any questions please contact me. Good luck
I mixed a large tub of plain yogurt with a large can of pumpkin and gave it to the whole bunch of them. I had enough for two feedings. they just love the stuff. I always use ACV in their water. thanks for the info it was very helpful.

Thks for the help gotta get I don't have desitin so I am gonna try A&d ointment and tums thks for the idea I'll let you know how i make out

[My 8 1/2 mth old ri red has a red, raw butt. I don't know why or what to do. She is eating, drinking and acting normal. I am also the one in the previous post that subject line is "please I need help". Thanks, Terri, itty, bitty and gritty:cd
I have the same problem with my red star, her bottom is raw and swollen. I was thinking about giving her an epsom salt bath. I think mine is being bullied. She has hardly any feathers left on top of her head :(

Back
Top Bottom