My Hens Haven't layed in a long time!!! Please help..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by presh22, Oct 25, 2012.

1. presh22

presh22 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2012
    I have 4 hens and all but one completely stopped laying approximately 2 weeks ago. Our hen Amber, which is a hybrid breed still lays like clockwork every single morning. I wired power to my coop and installed a timer to turn on at 4am and off at 7am. Back on at 6pm and turn off at 7pm. I live in Seattle Washington and figured this would provide adequate "mimic day light" to have them begin laying again. It has been 4-5 days and still no laying. Any ideas? I am certain the light works, its a 60 watt day-light bulb if this is relevant. My wife and I had to go buy store eggs again, we need help :)

Best Wishes,

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Are they first year pullets? If this is their second or third Autumn, it is entirely normal for them to take a break, rest, moult and re-charge their batteries.

3. iron chicken

iron chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Fayettville, Arkansas
    how old are they?

4. litmisredneck

litmisredneck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2012
    Pierson Fl
    Any help, mine stopped laying about a month ago. They are first year layers.

5. iron chicken

Aug 7, 2012
    Fayettville, Arkansas
    are they molting?
    Chickens usually will stop laying if the days get shorter, colder, and if they star molting.

6. litmisredneck

litmisredneck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2012
    Pierson Fl
    Nope, still have all their feathers. Maybe one or two a day in the coop or outside. We think a snake slithered in the coop and scared them. Were not sure, cause I got bit by a snake on the ankle right around the time they quit laying and I was right beside the coop when I got hit by the snake.

7. presh22

presh22 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2012
    Mine are first year, they began laying daily in late August-Early Sept. I am not familiar with molting, but their feathers look good. I have noticed a greater than normal amount of feathers on their poop deck, so maybe they are molting? I was so excited about the timer idea and that we would have eggs again, but they have just simply stopped.

8. luvmyEs

luvmyEs Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Are you sure they aren't laying some where else? Today I found 40+ eggs in an old stump. Guess most of my hens decided that was a better spot than the coop![​IMG]

9. iron chicken

Aug 7, 2012
    Fayettville, Arkansas
    then the snake or somthing probably scared them.

10. carladababe

carladababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Dixon, Missouri
    All seven of my girls have taken a vacation from laying eggs. They are a year and a half old and they are going through a big molt. They mottled once last year lightly, but they still layed eggs. I add a little more protein to their diet to help but if they don't get back into action I'll have no eggs in the fridge and will have to resort to a neighbors hens for more. I know it's cheap in the market but now I'm ruined by quality product.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by