1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my hens only sit on their eggs after they lay.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jenl7, Aug 17, 2013.

1. jenl7

jenl7 New Egg

Jun 9, 2013
    Its been awhile since I've been on here, and since then some of my hens started laying, but seem to only sit on their eggs maybe 20 min after they lay them. How will the eggs hatch if the hens aren't on them? I don't want to have to incubate them.

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

My hens do the same thing ( I guess they want some time with their egg before departing) but this is not broody behavior, if a hen is broody she will walk around with puffed up feathers ( often mistaken as being a sick chicken) clucking in a weird fashion. If you stick you hand in a broody hens box they will hiss puff up their feathers or peck at you.

3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    She will sit on the eggs when she's "done" laying, once she's done with her clutch, she'll sit. Incubation period's about 20 - 21 days, she'll leave the nest to eat & drink, eggs will be fine.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Some breeds of chicken are more likely to go broody (hatch eggs) than others. You can't make them do so. You also need a rooster to fertilize the eggs or there won't be any chicks to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by