My hens really seem upset about the roosters trying to mate with them

Iansmommy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
My hens and roosters (2) are coming of age. The hens seem really upset when the roosters try to mate. Will this stress them out and delay laying? The poor things flap around while the rooster has them by their combs.
D.gif
One hen had her comb partially ripped. I have to say that it upsets me too to hear them squawking.

One of the roosters is leaving soon because he is mean and has started attacking the other rooster, but I may just get rid of both of them because I don't like how they are treating the ladies.

They'll all settle down, I promise!

The hens have to learn to squat to mate, just like the roosters have to learn to mount correctly.

Everyone is learning. The hens are upset because they don't understand what's going on and think they're under attack.

Both sexes will learn how to do it right soon and then peace will be at hand.

Getting rid of one rooster would help.

-Kim

I have 4 EE roosters at the moment (18 weeks old) and one of them (the biggest, prettiest one, fortunately) is good with the girls. The others, well, it isn't pretty as they tend to just rip out beakfulls of feathers from the girls' necks. So the well-mannered fellow gets to stay in the coop with the girls and the three hormonal little beasts spend their days trying to get back in with the rest of the flock. I kind of feel sorry for them. In addition to my 10 pullets (18 weeks) I'm also looking after my next door neighbour's three surviving sex-link hens (she had raccoon trouble). As it happens the big calm guy is more attracted to the big girls and since they are boss they've taught him some manners so they all live very happily together (those hens have learned to appreciate his attentions as long as he approaches them the right way, and he's gentle with the pullets). The other three roos give the big scary girls a wide berth and prefer to go after the smaller, more vulnerable pullets. It's nasty.

Back
Top Bottom