My hens stopped laying all at once!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wynnsanchez, Dec 7, 2009.

1. wynnsanchez

wynnsanchez Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2009
    Is it un-heard-of for 19 hens to stop laying all at once? At first we thought it was a snake, but I've been watching closely since then and I haven't even seen the hens get in their laying boxes to lay. Not only that, but one snake would not be able to eat all those eggs. I've also recently read that they'll stop laying when the days get shorter. We just recently purchased a light and timer and are planning on giving them some extra light in the evenings. If they did stop laying because of days getting shorter, how long will it take for them to start laying again once they have the artificial light?

By-the-way, I live in south texas so we haven't needed any heat lamps yet. It hasn't been cold enough.

Thanks for your help.

2. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I had a lady come and buy 6 dozen eggs from me because her 200 hens stopped laying !!
    She did get one egg. I couldnt believe all those girls could stop all at once but i guess it
    happens. I have 22 hens and i am getting 7 to 11 eggs a day...but some of the girls that
    are laying are from my second batch, so they are different ages.

I have early spring pullets and fall pullets so i think thats what is helping me. I do have
    an automatic light on and the coop is insulated.

3. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    My girls have stoppped laying as well. I would assume that it is because of the shorter days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by