My hens stopped laying and it's summer. ???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by famy, Aug 26, 2013.

1. famy

famy New Egg

Oct 9, 2011
    Snohomish county, WA
    Hi. I have two hens, Rhodie and a EE. They are about a month away from 2 years old. They both seemed to have stopped laying eggs. They both seem fine and look fine. At first I was wondering if they started eating them, but I would be surprised if they were consuming that much egg shell. Then I thought maybe a rat is stealing all the eggs because I had seen one in my shed next to the coop, and seen fresh rat droppings under the nesting boxes. But I am not sure. Any suggestions?

2. bops

bops Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    Ireland
    They might be beginning to moult/molt, mine are. While they're mo(u)lting they wont lay. If the weather is getting colder where you live that may also be a factor:) There are probably many other reasons, but these are the only ones i can think of haha

3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If the rats are big enough, that could be it. A snake or other critter could be stealing them; usually here its a snake. They will definitely eat the egg shells of they eat the eggs, by the way, but this is probably not egg eating; it doesn't usually start all of a sudden like that. This time of year, a lot of eople are seeing a decrease in production. They might very well be heading into a molt.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/423023/why-arent-my-chickens-laying-here-are-your-answers/0_20

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by