My Hens Stopped Laying!

DavidKerk

Songster
9 Years
Feb 9, 2013
I have two California Grey Leghorns. One is eleven months old and the other is one year and eleven months old. They both molted in about November and haven't layed since they stopped for the molt. Alot of the other hens in my flock have done the same thing. I am not getting about 2-3 eggs a day from my flock of twelve hens.Not including the Leghorns, I have three 4+ year olds, 1 three year old, three two year olds, two one year olds, and a rooster that obviously doesn't lay eggs. Why aren't they laying? Will they start laying the six to eight eggs a day I used to get again? Is there a way to help them start laying again? Thanks!

Most chickens will be the most productive egg laying for the first 18 months of their laying life span (6months -24 months old). I replace all old layers at the end of their 2nd or 3rd year. After winter molt the second year, they usually wait a few months till the daylight hours get longer to start laying. Some birds will lay well past 3 or 4... most will not. If they are for eggs, I'd replace your birds over 3.

Back
Top Bottom