my hens wont lay eggs and im starting to get iiiiiirate lol

Yes, patience Grasshopper...

Also, grabbing them and shaking them vigorously up and down could work. Just a thought.

I managed to get my girls to finally lay by pretending like I couldn't care less when they ever got around to laying whatever it is chickens are supposed to lay. Yup, couldn't care less.

You could increase the protein in the feed, to help get them through molting, and bring on the eggs. Other than that, like Miss Prissy said, patience grasshopper!

I wonder if trying to come into lay during the normal molting season, even with a pullet that isn't ready to molt yet, just throws their hormones into a tizzy.

Oh no! My hens are about 29 weeks and nary an egg! Although one is a Jersey Giant and I've read they're quite slow to mature. The other is a Wyandotte. At least they're pretty to look at in the meantime. They act like crazy kids...so I'm just trying to let them enjoy their childhood.....they're too rambunctious to settle down long enough to lay. I guess "All in good time, my pretty, all in good time."

They will molt at around 6 months of age? Oy, I need more books on chickenry!
lol.png

Quote:
Different breeds mature at different rates. Some take nearly a year. Look up info on individual breeds, to get a better idea what to expect. Lay onset will vary with feed and environment, the expected time of onset is just a guideline, it's not unusual for a hen to not start on schedule.

No, they don't moult at 6 months, they molt in the fall. I hear that some also molt in the spring, but mine never have.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, dancingbear. Nice handle, btw. I should really know better than to 'go by the books' when dealing with living organisms. After all, it's what I do for a living! *MY* animals *should* read the books, though!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom