My hermaphrodite chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pattee, Oct 14, 2009.

1. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    My favorite hen started her molt and I noticed she was losing all of her feathers. The other 5 were losing a few at a time but my golden wyandotte was losing all of hers. [​IMG]

2 Days ago, the 5 hens started pinning her down and pecking at her unmercifully. Chasing her and pinning her down ~ It was torturous to see. I knew I had to do something or they'd peck her to death.

I called our local feed and seed store.. they said they'd take her and find a good home. When they saw her they said Wow, you're hen is getting rooster feathers.... So she was losing all her feathers to grow in rooster feathers. I looked this up on line and it happens to 1 in 10,000 chickens. They start out as hens, lay eggs but at about a year and a half to 2 years they change from a hen to a rooster....

I was so sorry to hear this, like I said she was my favorite chicken.
    But she's found a great home where she can free range in the day and sleep in the house at night...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Wow Ive heard about it but.. That would be so weird to actually watch ... Sorry you had to give up your fav it seems to always work out that way ..

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    poor chicken. You know that pecking is now a hate crime.

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:I know its not right but that had me [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:[​IMG]

What are they calling "rooster feathers" anyway? Sadly, I've heard bizarro things like that at many feedstores. Good grief.

ETA: There have been hermaphrodite chickens, but I do not buy one actually changing from a hen to a rooster. Starting to act like a rooster, maybe, but actually physically turning into one, no.

6. pattee

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
  7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    A hermaphrodite is defined as an animal or plant that has both male and female reproductive organs. This bird does not.

I don't really think the article is correct in saying the Georgina turned from a female to a male. She has a hormone imbalance and is just displaying hormone induced properties now. She is not really a male.

'Only one ovary normally functions in a chicken, the left one. If that gets damaged then the other one kicks into life but causes a jump in testosterone.

'That in turn causes a flood of hormones which sparks the changes in the way the chicken looks, with the growth of new plumage, a wattle and comb and sometimes they even crow, but they cannot reproduce.'

That final statement would be my reason why I would say it is still a she.​

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Do you mean your GLW has pointy hackle and pointy saddle feathers? Is that what you mean by tipped feathers? I've heard of them feathering in with different color patterns, but that would be wild if she now has saddle feathers!

I've seen that article and I see no evidence stated in there that the hen really turned into a rooster. So her comb grew larger and she crows...that doesn't mean she is a rooster. The following statement cracked me up, LOL!

'He always had slightly hairy legs which was a bit of a give-away. He doesn't lay eggs anymore and crows every morning - it's quite a turnaround.'

Hairy legs?? Good grief! First of all, no chicken has hair on their legs and second, that has nothing to do with being male or female.

To be a true hermaphrodite, you must have the organs of both sexes at the same time. I'm betting the hen in the article does not. Her hormones are out of whack, like Jean said. What's going on with your hen, no idea!​

9. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    Speckledhen, you are cracking me up! I love your GOOD GRIEF!

10. pattee

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    [​IMG]
    She is getting pointy hackle and saddle feathers ~ She losing all her hen feathers and the pointy hackle and saddle are coming in.

She's never going to reproduce.
    She's going to have the characteristics of a rooster. Feathers, waddle and comb. She might even crow. She'll never lay eggs again.

A genetic blip if you will...

Still I'm feeling really sadden ~ she was my baby,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by