My hermaphrodite chicken

I bought a couple laying hens to get some eggs now, while I wait for my girls to start laying...

I got them, noticed one leghorn "girl" looked just like one of my leghorn roosters. I notice it was pretty beat up before, but there seemed to be a fresh cut (i'm assuming from one of my roos.) So I moved it to a crate while I waited to get a replacement, I wasn't thrilled I got a rooster when I asked for a laying hen and he came to me looking like crap... Well low and behold I got an egg.

I really thought it was a rooster, I'm still convinced it's a hermaphrodite... I don't know whether to be weirded out or in awe. I'm mostly annoyed someone charged me $10 for it... At least I got an egg. So I'm keeping it and going from there. As long as the other hens aren't bothered by it, I don't see the problem with keeping it.

I'm in the process of figuring out if the eggs are still edible/safe. Can it be bred or breed a hen? (don't really need that in my bloodline...)
The roosters want to attack it, the hens don't care it's in the same airspace but totally ignores it.

Fun times. I haven't noticed the hens beating he/she up, and I moved all but one rooster from the pasture/coop who seems to be nice, but uninterested in it. So at least peace is back in the coop for now.

A buddy of mine once gutted a doe and she had a penis and a set of testicles right near the bladder, but she also had 3 sets of eye lashes. She was genetically messed up, and between her ears she had a bone fragment/bump that looked like she was going to grow a single horn. We was hunting near a Duke Energy ash pit, might have had chemical reactions/mutation or something
hu.gif
idunno.gif
hu.gif

Eggcessive, do you mean it has feathered legs? If so, any gender of Marans can have feathered legs.

There was a for taken once, had 14 points on it!! I will have to find the story again.

So why did you think it was a roo? I'm not seeing roo sign except the big ol honking comb. Pic of saddle feathers, etc?

So why did you think it was a roo? I'm not seeing roo sign except the big ol honking comb. Pic of saddle feathers, etc?

Well the comb was a big sign for me. Has small spurs on the legs. The right side of the bird seems beefier.
The feathers I can't do much with. I got the rooster in a shitty condition, so the feathers are still all beat up looking (I'm assuming the poor bird got beat up a lot).
The neck feathers look kind of rooster-ish, longer neck.

I will try and get better body pictures of "Hermes" tomorrow. (I keep forgetting to bring my camera out with me. lol)

The roosters won't touch it and try and kill it instead(I've had to move all but one of my roosters to accommodate Hermes)... The hens are indifferent.

It's eggs Hermes gives me are not fertilized, but the other two/3 laying hen's eggs are for sure.
Seemed a little odd if it was a full she, why would the roosters hate it so much?

The thing I'm worried about is how much longer will I be getting eggs?
Everything I have read points to gender change being brought on by a damaged ovary. =[
I don't mind the bird... but I bought it for eggs.
I'm highly debating seeing if the woman will give me a replacement, but I feel rude...
I don't even know for sure what's up with the bird... Other than my roosters hating it.

Back
Top Bottom