my homemade quail crumble recipe

forkyfork

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 9, 2014
This has been very successful with my japanese... lots of big eggs. The protein level will be approx. 30%. I provide fresh greens/veggies for vitamins.

4 jumbo chicken eggs
1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1/2 tsp baking powder
food processor
8" non stick cake pan. If not non stick, lightly grease and flour pan.

Beat eggs, add to food processor bowl. Save and rinse shells. Add oatmeal, stir with spoon. Let sit 10 minutes.

Process in food processor 1 minute. Let sit another 5 minutes. Preheat oven to 325F.

Process again for one minute, adding baking powder.

Pour batter into cake pan, bake for approx 30 minutes until sides turn light brown.

Let "cake" cool, then break into pieces and process in food processor until they become bite sized (for the quail) crumbs.

Spread crumbs on large baking sheet, dry completely in 225F oven.

Crush reserved egg shells and add to dried crumbs.

Last edited:
Thanks for this!

Do you only feed this to your quails? Nothing else? Or do you also supplement with regular gamebird or turkey crumble?

I'd find a different source of eggs. Contact between chickens and quail should be completely avoided by feeding them chicken eggs you are piping whatever disease your chickens may have right down the quails throat. Chickens are resistant to many poultry diseases quail are resistant to none of them.

The other problem I see is that there are various vitamins and minerals in balanced quantities in commercially produced feed. This ensure that if the food in ingested then the proper nutrition level of each bird is met. Quail don't like to eat veggies the way that chickens do they pick at them daintily and end up consuming whatever may be their favorite veggie in whatever proportion they find it until they get bored and wander off. I would worry about vitamin deficiency unless you are giving them liquid vitamins in the water.

i am. i also don't have any chickens and the eggs are cooked
That doesn't really effect the price of tea in china. Different bacteria's can survive different temps. Cecal worms can survive for as many as 10 years in the ground which often reaches significantly higher temperatures than what we actually feel on a 100+ degree day. Who knows what temp they actually die at? And that is just one parasite of hundreds and not even mentioning disease. Also if you are buying the eggs then they come from a commercial farm which surely has infected chickens. Not trying to be rude or anything I just care that everyone's birds get the best. If you can try to use either quail eggs or the eggs of any type of waterfowl (waterfowl are very disease resistant and don't carry anything they can pass to gamebirds)

If that ain't an option I'd say just keep cooking the heck out of those chickens eggs.

Good to know! I gave my quails scrambled chicken eggs. I read it here somewhere it's OK to give scrambled eggs and I assumed they meant chicken eggs.
My quails are OK but I won't give them anymore chicken eggs!

Back
Top Bottom