My homemade sand sifter *PICS*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hens & Hounds, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Hens & Hounds

Hens & Hounds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    NJ
    After picking up a 1/2 ton of sand this past weekend I was getting a backache using the small handle sifter that I purchased at Petco for cleaning the sand in reptile cages, so I came up w/ the idea of using a Future Fork for horse stall cleaning & using zip ties to attach 1/4" hardware cloth to. Just wanted to share w/ everyone in case anyone else uses sand in their run & has a bad back. I know I have seen people who use hardware cloth attached to 2 pieces of wood & use the panning for gold motion LOL but that involved using 2 different tools, first raking/shoveling the sand onto the sifter & then using 2 hands to sift out the poop which seemed like too much work for me [​IMG] So now all I do is scrape then shake over my compost bucket...all done standing up...no bending [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. lcammack

lcammack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Thank you for sharing, that is awesome. I have been trying to figure out an efficient way to sift the sand in their outdoor run. This will work perfectly! Nice Job!

3. rpchris

rpchris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Saint Louis, MO
    Great idea. I'm going to make one too.

4. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Excellent Idea!!

5. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Oh, I like!!! [​IMG]

6. CC1892

CC1892 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    East Coast
    I was just thinking about how to solve this problem this morning - as I cleaned out the run.

Great idea thanks!

7. Hens & Hounds

Hens & Hounds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    NJ
    Thank you everyone! [​IMG] This is where I got the idea>>> http://www.shakenrake.com/ & OMG can you believe the price! [​IMG] Anyone that can improve on the idea, your ideas would be greatly appreciated! Share your pics & ideas [​IMG]

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] perfect idea!

9. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Brilliant [​IMG]

10. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Bwahahahahahaaa!!! $300.!!! [​IMG] Are they insane? Your's is way better and a lot more cost effective! Love it!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by