My Horrible Habit

SarahFair

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Monroe, Ga
I like to peel the inside lining of my cheeks off with my teeth.

Ughhh! Its so bad. Ill peel a little bit then clamp a chunk of the cheek rub my tounge to loosen the skin more then proceed to peel more. I work on different areas throughout the day. Once spots get really rough Ill leave them be to heal only to start all over.

I tried to break it with gum but the gum is causing my fillings to come loose. I dont want mints cause I dont want all that sugar sitting on my teeth.

Its starting to cause the wrinkles around my mouth to be more defined and Im only 21!
th.gif

How do I stop??

barnie.gif

Can you wear a mouth guard when you're at home? I think they sell smaller, clear ones for things like teeth clenching.

Or you could suck on sugar free lollipops?

If you've tried mints there is probably some sugar free kind, or sugar free candies.

Or a baby pacifier? (Only when you're by yourself though, LOL!)

Or try the gum that's made for people with dentures, that way it should be easier on your fillings.

I would talk to your DR. It is a nervous habit, maybe he can help you find out what is bothering you! I do it sometime, when I'm really upset about something, but It is just once in a blue moon!

Quote:
Ive done it since I was little and in school.
Im tired of substituting the habit. When the substitute doesnt work I just go back to chewing my cheeks

You could certainly have a lot worse habits than that. You need something else to chew on. It's nervousness and until you can get to the bottom of what makes you nervous or your trigger point than it doesn't matter what you do nothing will help.

Same here Sarah....same here.

On a side note, I was just banished to the bedroom to eat my Cheerios because I would NOT stop smacking. Daggum it...I want to ENJOY my breakfast!

I managed to stop biting my nails. I did it simply by stopping. It was a conscious effort. Everytime I found myself with my finger in my mouth I took it away. It took a while. It takes about 21 days to break a habit or make one. In your case it may be a sign of stress. Work on whatever you have to do to alleviate your stress. A legal pad or notebook helps. Write down what or who is bugging you and brainstorm about what you can do about the situation to make things better.

I have done the same thing for many years and I have so many lines around my lips, it looks as tho I have been a heavy smoker. ( never smoked a day in my life) The lines are deep and no amount of cream will take them away. There is no plastic surgery except debridement to correct the look. It looks awful. I could take a picture and show you if that would help. I have made a conscious effort to stop this habit in the last 6 months by telling myself that constant irritation of the area could start a cancerous growth ( I have no proof of this, but it is having the desired effect!) and being a retired OR nurse, I know what mouth surgery patients end up looking like. Instead of absent-mindedly doing it, make yourself think about what you are doing at the time and really be "in the moment". It is working for me. Good Luck. Carolyn

Back
Top Bottom