My huge portable coop is done!

StrawberryMoon

Chirping
Jul 22, 2016
Indiana, USA
I really wanted a portable coop and run setup that would accommodate at least 12 LF chickens. I started with the "chickshaw" plans from Abundant Permaculture, but based on feedback I received from this forum I modified the design heavily. I doubled the size, reinforced the ceiling and plastic walls with 1/2" hardware cloth, made the floor from plywood instead of hardware cloth to protect their feet, and added proper roosts and outboard nesting boxes on both sides (nesting box designs were from "the garden coop" free plans). It's not nearly as lightweight as the "chickshaw" but DH and I can pull it as a team just fine. 64 sqft of floor space. It's surrounded by Premier 1 PermaNet electric fencing, and I will add a portable bird netting aviary shortly! When they grow, I'll expand the run space with another roll of fence. I still have more decorating to do, and I wasn't happy with that safety hasp closure (it allowed the door to open a couple of inches even while locked) so I'll be replacing that with something else tonight. Meanwhile I just screwed the doors shut to keep them safe.
IMG_20170623_080920.jpg
IMG_20170621_205331.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170623_075751.jpg
    IMG_20170623_075751.jpg
    598.9 KB · Views: 13
Nice coop. Adding a couple of handles like a big wheel barrow would make it easier to move and serve as an outside roost during the day. Or make them removable.

Back
Top Bottom