my husband sprayed insecticide in my yard.... now what?????

streakinamber

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 9, 2013
I have chickens who free range in my yard. We have been bombarded with mosquitoes and ants. My husband went to Lowe's and all he could find was insecticide ... Well I looked online and it is not recommended by the FDA for grazing livestock. But it was too late. My husband sprayed yesterday after the flock was put up for the night. I let everyone out for about 5 hours. Before I knew what he had sprayed. What should I do??? I put everyone up because I don't want anyone sick from the insecticide in my yard...... What do I do now??? Do I have to leave them in for days, weeks or a month??? Please help.... most of these birds I have hand raised and spent a lot of time and money on all of them.... my youngest were born July 4th and are doing great!!!

I would look at the label and perhaps call the phone number on the back of the label(or email address.) Ask them about the chemical, and look it up on Google online. It may be safe after a hard rain, but until you know for sure you may have to put them up or let them range in another area. Do you have any means of making a portable fence, or do you have a dog run you could put them in?

Consider calling the manufacturer and asking them if their product effects poultry. Provide them all the information you can such as how long your birds were on the treated soil/grass, how soon to show sickness symptoms if any at all, any recommended treatments etc....
All you can do for now is observe your birds, ensure they have plenty of fresh water to drink. Also make sure waterers and feeders wernt contaminated. Ask the company rep how long the product stays in the soil/grass and is it easily washed into the soil for dilution purposes. Good luck.

No one is ill at the moment. They were only out for 4 or 5 hours this morning and I immediately put them back in their coop. Their water and feed were not contaminated. But thank you, I tired to call but they are not open today!!! ugh.....

Many times you can look up the chemical yourself online. Some products ar okay for dogs and cats after they dry, but with chickens eating the grass, it can't be safe. Is your husband in the doghouse yet? It's amazing how often this happens, especially if chickens are new. You are lucky that you caught it in time. Please keep us posted on how they are doing.

My husband is lucky he's not sleeping in the barn!!!! I am watching all of them closely... I feed them in the morning when they get out so they may not have free ranged for very long. I am watering my yard as we speak, as I cannot find any information from the company or anywhere else on what else I can do!! I you guys have any suggestions... please... they are welcomed!! I guess my chickens will be grounded for a week or two!!! I WILL NEVER DO THIS AGAIN!!! AND I'M SURE MY HUSBAND WON'T EITHER!!!
Triazicide... It is a modified purythium.....??? I know we use this as a spray on our horses, but I did find where it said that it wasn't approved for grazing livestock!!

And I cannot find any information about how long it stays on the grass or in the ground!!!

OH GOODNESS..... IT SAYS 21 DAYS.... ....... I don't have a run to put them in.... they free range all around here... there are no fences.... guess I will have to try something..... :(

Monday you should be able to get more information from all those sources; also try an avian vet or your state veterinarian, or maybe the state poultry people if there are any. In Michigan I call Dr. Fulton at the Michigan State Univ. path lab. Hopefully it will be fine, but I sure wouldn't have been spraying the yard! Mary

In my husbands defense, now that I have read the whole booklet.... it doesn't say anything about poultry or grazing animals...... It was clearly a mistake.... but one that we will not forget!! All of my babies are in their coops until further notice!!!

Back
Top Bottom