Since we had the smoker going,

Turkey thighs on the right

Pork ribs in the center

'possum on the left.

Steve

Quote:
Omygodnees there is one dead infront of my house on the road want it
wink.png

Why did the chicken cross the road?.....To prove to the possum, it could be done.
lol.png

Quote:
OFG, we are waiting on you????????? You said you would come to dinner. The corn breads in the oven, the black eyed peas are a cookin', sweet potatoes are in the mircowave. I did check with my Witch Doctor and he told me the whole meal only takes 2.25 years off your life.
smile.png

Steve

The first bite we both said "bacon" . We cooked it with just salt, black pepper to get the real taste. It would have taken to BBQ sauce pretty good I think. Over all it was good, was it worth the trouble to cage it and clean it out for 2 weeks, probably not.

possumplate.jpg

Steve

And just for people who want to know the nutritional value in their food:
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/nutrition/All_Foods/Meat_Beef_Pork_Misc_/Opossum_cooked.html

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per 1 oz, with bone, cooked (yield after bone removed)
Calories 50.62
Calories from Fat 21.03

% Daily Value *

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Fat 2.34g 4%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturated Fat 0.276g 1%

Polyunsaturated Fat 0.683g

Monounsaturated Fat 0.864g

Cholesterol 29.55mg 10%

Sodium 50.57mg 2%

Potassium 100.33mg 3%

Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%

Dietary Fiber 0g 0%

Protein 6.92g 14%

Alcohol 0g

Vitamin A 0 % Vitamin C 0 %

Calcium 0 % Iron 6 %

Vitamin D 0 % Vitamin E 0 %

Thiamin 1 % Riboflavin 4 %

Niacin 10 % Folate 1 %

Vitamin B-6 5 % Vitamin B-12 32 %

Phosphorus 6 % Magnesium 2 %

Zinc 3 % Copper 2 %

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Good points
Low in sodium
No sugar
High in iron
High in niacin
High in phosphorus
High in selenium
High in vitamin B6
Very high in vitamin B12

Bad points
High in cholesterol

Overall was not too bad of a meal. For the whole plate of food around 600 calories. See you on Sparkspeople.com, hello to my all the BYC'ers on SP!!!
Sharon

Quote:
I had a recipe for peccary once. I think it had you smoke the peccary while it was strapped to a board. The last line was "remove peccary, eat board."

Quote:
You boiled it in the smoker? Just curious about the cooking technique. My Steve has a smoker he uses all the time. Never seen a possum around here though. We do have plenty of wood chucks. Maybe I need the Joy of Cooking?

Back
Top Bottom