My husbands reaction to getting silkies

cherieangelle

Songster
Mar 8, 2023
A LOL for your day : this is a funny post, I don’t have friends that have chickens so no one to talk to about this. Lol
My husband does not understand my love for silkies 😂
In my head they aren’t a money pit like my horses (bc I don’t breed horses or compete with them, we trail ride & do play days but rarely do we win money)
I’m going to pick up 4 silkies for $100 a bird, they’re show quality. I’m driving an hour & 45 mins one way to pick them up! My daughter wants to show them in 4H. I have 7 babies I just hatched & 5 more eggs in the incubator! My husband said to me “Gah Lee. All this for some damn birds🤦🏻‍♂️😂
If you knew him, you’d know he’s picking on me hahahah I told him to just support me & my love for these beautiful birds 😂😂
Anyone else have any “crazy” things they’ve done to get some full grown SQ silkies? Please share it with me so I can prove to him I’m not crazy HAHAHA
*I will post pictures of them as soon as I get home with them*🥰

I wasn't sure whether to ❤ or 🤣 at your post! I just got my first 4 white silkies, from TSC, do I'm sure they aren't SQ but they are SO stinking adorable!!! I'd like to get more, because I definitely need more than just white, and I have a suspicion that I have 4 cockerels and o ly 1 pullet (they're only 6 weeks so I'm not totally convinced yet). He also tolerates / supports / keeps slightly in check, yet also enjoys our chickens.

We weren't getting chicks this year and now have 11, after getting the first 5 he said "no more chickens unless they are fancy, like Polish or silkies" a few hours later we were in TSC because he wanted to look at their jeans and what do you know!?! They had silkies! So we went home with 4, and he said next time he's going to have to be more careful about what he says 🤣🤣🤣

I haven't done anything crazy to get SQ silkies yet, but I now feel inspired that this should be something on my bucket list!

I wasn't sure whether to ❤ or 🤣 at your post! I just got my first 4 white silkies, from TSC, do I'm sure they aren't SQ but they are SO stinking adorable!!! I'd like to get more, because I definitely need more than just white, and I have a suspicion that I have 4 cockerels and o ly 1 pullet (they're only 6 weeks so I'm not totally convinced yet). He also tolerates / supports / keeps slightly in check, yet also enjoys our chickens.

We weren't getting chicks this year and now have 11, after getting the first 5 he said "no more chickens unless they are fancy, like Polish or silkies" a few hours later we were in TSC because he wanted to look at their jeans and what do you know!?! They had silkies! So we went home with 4, and he said next time he's going to have to be more careful about what he says 🤣🤣🤣

I haven't done anything crazy to get SQ silkies yet, but I now feel inspired that this should be something on my bucket list!
HAHA I love this so much!!! Mine is very tolerant too & does try to keep me in check but when I can justify it to him I just giggle & say “don’t you hate it when I make sense”😂
I have been looking for full grown silkies for what feels like a YEAR lol finally found 3 girls with a rooster & I couldn’t beat the price!!! I’m so excited to go pick them up lol

I hope you have a crazy silkie adventure one day!!! It’s truly been exhilarating 😂😂

I've been trying to critique my little silkies with my untrained eye, I'm very sure they aren't show quality, and now I'm going between wanting to get show quality ones and start breeding them, or being happy with some healthy and hearty pet quality silkies, and maybe still breed them 🤣 of the three I think are cockerels, one has decent seeming toes, another has the back two fused together with 2 nails, and the third has the 6 nails total, it looks really wonky. 😳 I think my silkies don't have a dark enough beaks, and I'm waiting to see about the combs. But, even with all their pet-ness they are still super cute!

Do you have your new chickens yet? If so, I think pictures are required!

Not about silkies but about chickens in general. We had a friend who had to get rid of her chickens for a few reasons and she asked us to take them. My mother is a teacher so one day their was a weather watch. So we drove 45 minutes to go pick up chickens in a little snow. Well my dad got home and noticed we had ten more chickens than we used to and was like “what did you do this time” ahh chicken math a blessing and a curse.

A LOL for your day : this is a funny post, I don’t have friends that have chickens so no one to talk to about this. Lol
My husband does not understand my love for silkies 😂
In my head they aren’t a money pit like my horses (bc I don’t breed horses or compete with them, we trail ride & do play days but rarely do we win money)
I’m going to pick up 4 silkies for $100 a bird, they’re show quality. I’m driving an hour & 45 mins one way to pick them up! My daughter wants to show them in 4H. I have 7 babies I just hatched & 5 more eggs in the incubator! My husband said to me “Gah Lee. All this for some damn birds🤦🏻‍♂️😂
If you knew him, you’d know he’s picking on me hahahah I told him to just support me & my love for these beautiful birds 😂😂
Anyone else have any “crazy” things they’ve done to get some full grown SQ silkies? Please share it with me so I can prove to him I’m not crazy HAHAHA
*I will post pictures of them as soon as I get home with them*🥰
Not for silkies, but... It was my hubby who went from 8 chicks(originally 22 straight run only 8 pullets) to 20 because TSC had the breeds he wanted as pullets lol he keeps checking to see what they have lol

I've been trying to critique my little silkies with my untrained eye, I'm very sure they aren't show quality, and now I'm going between wanting to get show quality ones and start breeding them, or being happy with some healthy and hearty pet quality silkies, and maybe still breed them 🤣 of the three I think are cockerels, one has decent seeming toes, another has the back two fused together with 2 nails, and the third has the 6 nails total, it looks really wonky. 😳 I think my silkies don't have a dark enough beaks, and I'm waiting to see about the combs. But, even with all their pet-ness they are still super cute!

Don't think that because they're show birds they'll be unhealthy. If anything, the show breeder would have focused more on the quality than an irresponsible breeder

These are my new girls & my black Roo🥰
HeiHei is my Roo, then we have sapphire, foxy & clementine 🥰😂

Attachments

• IMG_0987.jpeg
    IMG_0987.jpeg
    949.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0981.jpeg
    IMG_0981.jpeg
    845.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0978.jpeg
    IMG_0978.jpeg
    869.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0976.jpeg
    IMG_0976.jpeg
    942.4 KB · Views: 24
Don't think that because they're show birds they'll be unhealthy. If anything, the show breeder would have focused more on the quality than an irresponsible breeder
Sorry I didn't mean that show birds would be unhealthy, I was just thinking that even if mine weren't to the standard, at least they are happy and healthy little floofers. They don't know they aren't perfect according to the SOP, they just do their chicken things and that's perfect enough for me ❤ I would love to have some show quality chickens someday! Goals...

Sorry I didn't mean that show birds would be unhealthy, I was just thinking that even if mine weren't to the standard, at least they are happy and healthy little floofers. They don't know they aren't perfect according to the SOP, they just do their chicken things and that's perfect enough for me ❤ I would love to have some show quality chickens someday! Goals...

No worries! And if you do want show quality silkies, your best bet is the breed club page;)

Back
Top Bottom