My Ideal Experience **4 week Update PG 3**

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cogburn, Jan 15, 2009.

1. cogburn

cogburn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    We ordered 2 EE's, 1 Blk Australap, 1 Wht Leghorn, and 6 st. run asst. bantams. We ended up with our order plus 9 peanuts.

It was 27 degrees in Dallas this morning. The post office called me at 7am to come and pick them up. They all appear to be healthy.

If anyone has any ideas of what the peanuts are and can help identify the bantams, I would appreciate it.

This white one on the right has been named W.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have one feather footed bantam. It is in the center of this picture. Any ideas what kind? The little tan one on the left is the smallest by far.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    The packing peanuts are BR (barred rocks), I'm not sure about the bantams

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  3. jhmoore

jhmoore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2008
    Holly, Michigan
    I would agree that the peanuts are Barred Rocks- look just like mine did as day olds. But, I think I see more than one australorp in there- the look like little penguins when they're that young. It's too early for me to tell, but I hope some of your peanuts are girls. I don't know enough about bantams- sorry.

4. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Cute chicks! Not sure what they are though, sorry.

What are you going to do with the male packing peanuts. I want to order from Ideal as well, but don't know what to do with a bunch of extra chicks.

5. cogburn

cogburn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Quote:I thought they might be BR's, but I wasn't for sure. Thank you. That helps a lot.

I have a friend who wants any of the extras. Hens or roosters. They live in the country and have plenty of room. We are keeping our fingers crossed that a couple of the bantams will be hens. No roosters allowed in the city limits.

Please keep the suggestions coming on the bantams.

Thanks,
    Chad

6. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Your feather footed bantam looks like a blue bantam cochin to me...at least it looks just like mine did at that age, and mine came from Ideal too.

7. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i to believe they are barred rocks because marans and dominiques are out of season from there and mine come tommorrow yay

8. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    Oh they are so cute! Cant wait for my little babies............

9. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    The one in the center looks like our Blue Bochin when she was a peeper and the little brown one on the left looks like our Mille Fleur d'Uccle when she was a peeper. Maybe u could call "W" Winter?? Just a thought. [​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:If you don't want packing peanut chicks you can specify that when you order. You'll have to buy the postal insurance instead, but it's only a few dollars. HOWEVER, I wouldn't order chicks without packing peanuts at this time of year. You'd probably do fine ordering that way in the spring.
    I ended up with three extra roosters in my order. I posted a sign at our library branch and the post office - we live in a small town - and they were gone in a hurry. They went to a forever home, not somebody's freezer. You can also post them on a local craigslist or the like.

Cute chicks Cogburn! Good luck with them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by