1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My "Iffy Chicky" has made it!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by birds4me, Feb 6, 2011.

1. birds4me

birds4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Minnesota
    My eggs in my bator started hatching on 2/2. One of my polish eggs hatched, but took a VERY long time and when the chick came out it had not "sealed up" after absorbing the yoke. He came out with a hole that was slightly larger round then a pencil! [​IMG] The chick instantly lost a few drops of blood. Once out of the shell and in the incubator the chick just seemed to WANT to make it. I left it in the bator for a few hours until I could see that he was just misserable. I decided to move it into the brooder to see if that would help. When I got him out of the bator I noticed that the hole was getting smaller [​IMG] I put clean paper towels in a tuperware container for him in the brooder with the others and he seemed much happier. DH had "the talk" with me about how this chick probably would not make it and such [​IMG] . My son and I had our fingers crossed and kept an eye on the chick until we HAD to go to bed. By bed time the whole was very small and my hope was growing! [​IMG] Well.......Iffy Chicky made it through the night........and the next day.................and is just perfectly healed up and normal as ever!!!! [​IMG] This baby is a keeper and it's name is ...............Iffy Chicky! So far it looks like it might end up being a totally white (or very close to it) polish. I will have to post pictures later. Right now we are just concentrating on letting Iffy be a chicky AND I can't get it to stand still enough to get a good picture!

Just thought I'd share! I don't know how often this happens and what the % is of them actually making it. I think I have a new favorite chicken [​IMG], just PLEASE don't tell the others! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  2. mistymeadowchicks

mistymeadowchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2010
    '[​IMG]' '[​IMG]' '[​IMG]'
    What a nice warm fuzzy! So happy for you & your iffy chickie!

3. CathyM

CathyM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    YEAH!! [​IMG] That's wonderful! And I love "Iffy Chicken" - keep goin' Iffy!![​IMG]

4. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    A small hole? Where? What does "sealed up" mean? I'm not quite sure I can picture this. Was it not developed completely?

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG]

That is WONDERFUL!

I would have left him in the 'bator to "finish up" but you had good results, so don't mind me! I think it's wonderful Iffy Chick is all better!!!

6. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    YAY!!! [​IMG] I love those special little chickies when they make it!

7. RunninWithScissorBeaks

RunninWithScissorBeaks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2010
    NC Mountains
    Way to go Iffy Chicky! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by