My Imprinting Adventure!

It seemed like the peachick was getting a bit better and stronger, but unfortunately my little adorable peachick passed away last night. I appreciate the help and advice that was given, and it is too bad that things could not have worked out better. When I talked to the breeder who gifted those eggs for my adventure, he said peachicks can be on occasion to big for the egg. That definitely happened with my peachick. When I had to make a hole for it to breathe after it could not externally pip, I noticed its body was only around a centimeter away from the top of the shell, and the air sac was abnormally shaped. It is very heartbreaking to loose an imprinted peachick.

It seemed like the peachick was getting a bit better and stronger, but unfortunately my little adorable peachick passed away last night. I appreciate the help and advice that was given, and it is too bad that things could not have worked out better. When I talked to the breeder who gifted those eggs for my adventure, he said peachicks can be on occasion to big for the egg. That definitely happened with my peachick. When I had to make a hole for it to breathe after it could not externally pip, I noticed its body was only around a centimeter away from the top of the shell, and the air sac was abnormally shaped. It is very heartbreaking to loose an imprinted peachick.
hugs.gif
I am soo soo sorry
hit.gif
when I read you were up at 2 AM I had to tell you

I had the exact same thing happen to one that piped on the same day I locked them down, it has made it though and it has been a chore, I had to help it , work up at 2 AM in the morning and did that, it bleed , I put it back tried again at 12pm and got her out, then she was swollen, she got blood on her beak in the nose , but was ok, then the leg problems and feet also, I hobbled her and I know the water weight was causing her problems so I spent the better part of 3 days checking on her and sitting her upright cause her little feet had booties also.

Finely this morning the swelling is almost gone and she is hobble free she is learning how to walk but I tell ya I thought sure she would die at one point and then figured I would have to put her down.
She has crocked inside toes, tried and tried to keep them straight but they kept working their way back.

All that swelling can be caused from a couple a things hence we also see foot problems. in my case I believe the shell was so thick that it could not release the extra moisture at around 2 weeks, I read that if you keep a weight on the eggs, they should loose weight at 2 weeks of incubation, if that does not happen you can lightly scuff the surface of the egg at the top and the will help release the un needed moisture.

I don't know what I will do with her, I won't keep crooked toes here just in case it is genetic.

Last edited:
Thank you all.... I will for sure not be imprinting another one this year. I am not even sure I will next year. Zazouse, I am glad you were able to save that peachick. I guess I can just learn from this peachick's death to be more successful if I ever try this again. This is still aimed at you Zazouse, I want my other peachicks to still be tame. How do you make your peachicks so friendly? My older group of peachicks does not want to do anything with me, but there is hope in the youngest group.

Blue I am retired so I am home all the time and I spend 8 hours a day piddlen with things outside and they are usually involved.
When they see something I don't they call and the dogs and I go with them to see what is in the area, it is usually a rabbit but if the crows are calling it is usually a cat, we built a bond this way, they trust the dogs and me, it just takes a lot of time.

Thanks for the congrads on the babie I had to rehobble her and took it off again today and she is cowhocked
bigtime , we are learing here and this has been a good learning experience for me, no some oh whith peas like guineas, or chickens they are gonna test ya I tell ya
old.gif

I got 10 babies about of 10 eggs this last time once again they started hatching on lockdown day, one hatched in the tray, it is 2 of my white hens eggs I seem to have the most problems all at once with, so I am happy with that.

That sounds like a good system over at your place! I am just spending a lot of time with the younger peachicks and I do hold them so I hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom