1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

My incubator reached 112 degrees overnight

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rrcommander, May 1, 2008.

1. rrcommander

rrcommander In the Brooder

May 1, 2008
    I have several eggs in a Little Giant incubator. when I went to bed the temp was 100 degrees when I got up six hours later the temp was 112 degrees I adjusted the temp down. When I left for work it was 102 degrees. It was the first night in the incubator. Can the eggs hatch?

2. The incubator might have cooked the eggs. I would let the eggs stay in for another 4-6 days and check. If nothing is growing the eggs are no good. Sorry about your eggs.

3. rrcommander

rrcommander In the Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Hopefully not. I did read earlier that during the first couple of days higher heat may just cause the chicks to hatch earlier.

4. yes. that means like 2 or 3 degrees higher, not 12 degrees higher than normal. maybe youll get lucky and your eggs were not affected by it. i hope they hatch. good luck

5. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Songster

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    112 degrees overnight [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. ginbart

ginbart Crowing

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Just to let you know. My temp went to 110 over night and I still have 18 out of 40. So don't give up. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I lady from Texas told me the weather there gets to over 110 and her hens are still laying on them.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  7. BikerBabeRules

BikerBabeRules Songster

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    My LG hit 112 during this hatch as well, for a whole day. My eggs are hatching, so don't fret. They were at all different stages also. Sit tight and don't fret, you'll get some chicks.

8. I had the same thing happen to me today while I was at work :( I got the temp down, but I don't know.....

Parker

9. hooktontravel

hooktontravel Chirping

May 3, 2016
    glad to hear some eggs are hatching! Mine went to 112 overnight after a power outage when I put in some handwarmers to keep the temp up... I think they were fine until the power came back on in the middle of the night & the fan got more oxygen into the handwarmers. No idea how long it was hot but could have been 6 hours. It was 105 when I found it in the morning, so hopefully not 112 for too long. the digital thermometer w/memory said 112 so that would be the highest the air got. I'm planning to wait & candle at about 7 days and see if anything's happening. It was only the second night when this happened. :/ such an experience!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by