My incubator reached 112 degrees overnight

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rrcommander, May 1, 2008.

1. rrcommander

rrcommander Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    I have several eggs in a Little Giant incubator. when I went to bed the temp was 100 degrees when I got up six hours later the temp was 112 degrees I adjusted the temp down. When I left for work it was 102 degrees. It was the first night in the incubator. Can the eggs hatch?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

The incubator might have cooked the eggs. I would let the eggs stay in for another 4-6 days and check. If nothing is growing the eggs are no good. Sorry about your eggs.

3. rrcommander

rrcommander Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Hopefully not. I did read earlier that during the first couple of days higher heat may just cause the chicks to hatch earlier.

4. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

yes. that means like 2 or 3 degrees higher, not 12 degrees higher than normal. maybe youll get lucky and your eggs were not affected by it. i hope they hatch. good luck

5. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    112 degrees overnight [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Just to let you know. My temp went to 110 over night and I still have 18 out of 40. So don't give up. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I lady from Texas told me the weather there gets to over 110 and her hens are still laying on them.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  7. BikerBabeRules

BikerBabeRules Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    My LG hit 112 during this hatch as well, for a whole day. My eggs are hatching, so don't fret. They were at all different stages also. Sit tight and don't fret, you'll get some chicks.

8. I had the same thing happen to me today while I was at work :( I got the temp down, but I don't know.....

Parker

9. hooktontravel

hooktontravel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2016
    glad to hear some eggs are hatching! Mine went to 112 overnight after a power outage when I put in some handwarmers to keep the temp up... I think they were fine until the power came back on in the middle of the night & the fan got more oxygen into the handwarmers. No idea how long it was hot but could have been 6 hours. It was 105 when I found it in the morning, so hopefully not 112 for too long. the digital thermometer w/memory said 112 so that would be the highest the air got. I'm planning to wait & candle at about 7 days and see if anything's happening. It was only the second night when this happened. :/ such an experience!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by