My Indian runner duck is walking on her knees

aggie123

Hatching
Dec 22, 2016
Yesterday morning I found my duck coverd in mud and just sat in the run something wasn't quite right so I brought her inside and gave her a bath which she quite enjoyed but she coudnt seem to put much weight on her legs and whenever she walked ahe did it on her knees and coudnt stand for very long her behaviour hasnt changed and she doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort and she still eating and drinking normaly but spending most of her time sat down, ive drawn a not very good picture of what her legs are like. If anyone can tell me what's wrong and what I should do I would really appreciate it

Yesterday morning I found my duck coverd in mud and just sat in the run something wasn't quite right so I brought her inside and gave her a bath which she quite enjoyed but she coudnt seem to put much weight on her legs and whenever she walked ahe did it on her knees and coudnt stand for very long her behaviour hasnt changed and she doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort and she still eating and drinking normaly but spending most of her time sat down, ive drawn a not very good picture of what her legs are like. If anyone can tell me what's wrong and what I should do I would really appreciate it
@aggie123 sounds like a nutrient deficiency possibly niacin. how old is your duck and what do you feed.

Last edited:
Shes 6-7 months old and is on layers pellets
I'd first off place her in a small area so she doesn't cause sores and bruises on her knees. Put plenty of soft bedding then a couple times a day place her in a nice warm tub of water to take pressure off her legs and let her float around see how she is using her legs in the water. Please let us know.. She needs a good Multiple vitamin or B complex or plain niacin in her drinking water. They will need to be mixed real good and given till she is completely over this. The vitamins need to have at least 150mgs of niacin in them. poultry vitamins can be bought at some feed stores. I know TSC carries them. Have you examined her legs for injuries, swelling ,heat in legs not normal?

Of course any time something like this happens we always suggest a vet because he/she can examine and really find out what is going on. But we know not everyone has the financial ability or even a vet that will see poultry so we try and give some suggestions that have helped others.

@aggie123 How is your lil Runner today? The water to vit is 1 B complex to 1 gal of water 1 150 niacin tab crushed and mixed with 1 gal of water and Muti mixed according to direction Be sure to crushed the pills so they will mix well in the water and replace daily.

Back
Top Bottom