My Indian Runner is sitting on her nest!!!

I candled one last night and actually saw movement of a beak up into the airspace. So I know they are near ready. I'm just worried that cuz she keeps moving them that SHE will injure them.

I'm sure they will be fine. They are hardy. My friends runner duck was killed by a fox whilst sat on her nest so she put the eggs in an airing cupboard and left them.....about a month later she heard cheeping!! No rotation or humidity, just left! Xx

I have some runner eggs in "lock-down" right now it's day 28. I did candle one egg and it looks like it should be ready anytime. I am holding my breath convincing myself to leave them alone --- I really want to take them all out and candle them, but I thinks its best not to.

I have a runner that has gone broody two years in a row. Last year she hatched 15 out of 16 eggs. I moved the nest with no problems from outside buried in a pile of straw to inside a dog house. This year she is sitting on about 19-20 eggs. They are just out of my reach, right at the back of the dog house. I did manage to reach just a few to candle. They look right on schedule to hatch on this coming weekend. Last year they hatched a few days early. Time to split the pen off from the other ducks. I am anxiously awaiting the new arrival !!!

How long do you split the pen for Patty43 before you introduce them to the rest? I'm assuming you leave them with mummy?

Do you just leave them with mummy from day 1 or do they need to go in a brooder first?

What's the reason for separating them from the other ducks? (I only have 3 others)

Xx

Generally I don't keep the babies. I only have 4 ducks and really don't have room for any more. I keep the pen split for as long as I have the babies. I like to watch the babies and mom, so I keep them as long as possible. Plus mom did all the hard work and I don't have the heart to take them away too soon. I don't put them in a brooder. Last year she was a great mom and I didn't have any problems. I split the pen to keep the babies away from the other ducks. Not sure what they would be like with the ducklings. I just have my husband hammer in a few posts and string chicken wire across the pen . Its only a few feet high and I can step over it quite easily. It worked well and I had no problems.

Back
Top Bottom