my insane mosaic project

mo puff

Chirping
11 Years
Sep 14, 2011
well, i may have bitten off more than i could chew w/ my first attempt at eggshell mosaic! I aquired this old metal desk from an old warehouse. It had a shallow "lip", where the metal side wrapped round...i instantly thought it would be perfect for a great mosaic with an intricate design. Although, i chose to do a split-leaf philodedron leaf, it is still waaaay tedious. Heres a few pics for anyone who cares to share my progress. I have about 15 hours in it so far. I plan on putting green glass seed beads in the veins.. i think, i will have to make a test. I tried crushed green glass wine bottles... No good. Thanks for looking and if you have any input, I am open for all suggestions , or tricks of the trade, that some of YOU may already have mastered. NO, Its not for sale.Ha Ha .argh..

I wish i had a green egger! The eggs that look white in the pic are actually blue/green but not GREEN. I did think about using alcoholized ink when i finish, Thank you for your comment. Send green shells!!

Send green shells!!
Well, I guess it won't matter if they get broken in the mail.
ya.gif

I have an olive egger who just started to lay. I can send you a few small olive green egg shells by the end of the week if that would help. Just PM me you address and how to clean them first.

crosbygroup, that is soo kind of you to send me green shells. I do know how to clean them, atleast i thought i did. I rinse them and pull out the membrane right away after cracking. BUT, i swear there is still something there? I would love for you to try and send some in the mail.. if the membranes are still in them they would travel better, then i will soak them when they arrive. It just sounds silly to send eggshells in the mail.LOLOLOLOL! I would happily send you $$. How do I give my address w/o all seeing it on here?

Trixie gives me the closest thing i have to green...but they are more blueish.

Last edited:
My olive green eggs are from my EE's. I don't mind sending them to you I'll just bubble wrap them and send them to you. I will save some up. about how many do you think you will need? Is it ok if they are cracked in half (thats how we use them when we are cooking)? I see you sent me a PM so you have figured out how to do that. Just let me know how many you want and send me your address.

Sue

This is a first for me , it is exiting and very creative. I am planing a less ambitious mosaic project. I intend to have a seeting space alongside my chicken run, so I can visit with the girls. The flooring I will use a large plastic form, you fill with cement, give it a twist till it lets go and pull off , leaving the pre formed patern on the ground. It does leave a nice edge around each formed stone , which while it's still wet I will press tiny broken multi colored pieces of glass. I do have a friend who did this technique succesfully , he flled the wet seams with sand, me I'm going for some color. I am a wee bit worried it may be much, but what the heck time I have, Anyway it's going to be my little spot, So it will get done when it's suposse to. Yours however is beautiful.

Sue, if you dont mind i will take as many as you can save up in 2 weeks. Yes cracked is fine.. you gotta eat em'! You can rinse out the goo but dont remove the membrane, they will stay together better. I will use any broken peices too.. I have to break them anyway. I am excited. I will use them for the veins. It has been cold for the last 2 days and is again today so i have completed another 8 hrs of work on the table, and will do another 4 or 5 hrs today. Slow going. I will take a pic in a minute and post a progress pic. Its hard to be excited when i cant tell the difference day to day, i will have to compare pics just to see for myself!

Thanks again for being a part of my insanity!
Melissa

Back
Top Bottom