My introduction!

chickengrrl82

In the Brooder
Dec 23, 2019
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Totally new to chickens...been raising them and doing coop work for about a month.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
More than half the flock was killed when I had arrived at the farm the first day :(
(3) What breeds do you have?
All bantams - not sure which kinds. Pretty run of the mill — a speckled one named Margaret and an orange one named Elizabeth. One bantam rooster named Phillip. They came from the same brood.
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love to see them grow! I also like to do DIY projects, and so there are always new things to learn or ways to improve the coop or the quality of life for the flock.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Just getting adjusted to the new environment!
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I’ve just got my chickens on the farm for now taking care of them for a family member who is sick
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
My family member jokingly recommended, and in my research you all have been a great resource!

Welcome To BYC! sorry to hear about your chickens.

I cried so much - it was actually a 3 day span of deaths where 4 were taken out - when the first one died. She was a precious booted, speckled bantam.

That’s when I started my research. Okay, examine the coop. I rearranged the materials in the coop and tossed porous clay that fostered maggot growth. Cleaned up chicken bodies (or what was left thereof). For reference, I am from a highly urban area, but these feathered friends clearly needed protection.

That’s why I immediately took in the 2 hens Margaret and Elizabeth inside.
We had 6 hens and then...only Madge and Elizabeth were left.

Started training the roo, Phillip, to herd everyone in around 4 (gives him some wiggle time since he is young) under suggestion of someone here.

Was really happy my family member let me keep them cooped up today in freezing rain to associate the indoor coop as a safe place (another great tip from Backyard Chickens!)

Cleaning Margaret and her chicks’ tub for a month hasn’t been, eh, pleasant. BUT I found a great litter mix from BYC suggestion and it’s been a definite improvement.

Miss Margaret coos when I sing (she likes Italian arias apparently), so I try to sing while I clean her area up if I can!

So far she likes to be rocked, snuggled under a blanket, and get lavender baths and/or aromatherapy if I can tell she’s stressed from brooding duties. :)

Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC! So sorry to hear about the chickens that were killed. I hope your sick family member gets well soon.
We have an area with an insane amount of possums and raccoons, but it was shocking!
It looks like I’ll be up here for a little longer than expected, but I very much enjoy the freedom to do my own projects or learn new things I couldn’t do in the city!

also, thank you for the well wishes!

WOW, Welcome. Seems you are on a roller coaster ride with the animals. Best of wishes
:welcome:th:hit:celebrate
It was truly just trial by fire. I’ve fallen out of the coop twice. But for some reason animals find me somewhat calming (or they listen to me like when they need to get in the coop), though half of all of that is consistency.

I’m wondering if I should clean down the coop for my relative...she has a lot else going on, but I did shadow our trapper and take notes! Need to fix some squirrel holes with hog hooks and chicken wire!

It was truly just trial by fire. I’ve fallen out of the coop twice. But for some reason animals find me somewhat calming (or they listen to me like when they need to get in the coop), though half of all of that is consistency.

I’m wondering if I should clean down the coop for my relative...she has a lot else going on, but I did shadow our trapper and take notes! Need to fix some squirrel holes with hog hooks and chicken wire!
If they are your animals I would. :confused::thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom