My introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bitty70, Oct 18, 2014.

1. bitty70

bitty70 New Egg

Mar 15, 2014
    Arlington, TX
    Hi my name is Cindy York. I am about to start ready raising chickens for the eggs. as my aunt calls them City eggs are thin in in the shell. I am so tired of trying to crack open an egg and crushing the egg shell. I want stronger and larger eggs. We are now into October, does anyone know when I should go get my baby chicks? I guess I need to also let everyone know I have 5 dogs and 8 cats all live in the house. Anyones help with this issue is greatly appreciated. I do not want to give up any of my pets but I want some chickens.

2. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!!

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You might like to check out the BYC Learning Center, lots of good articles on all aspects of chicken keeping you'll find helpful with your new flock. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Most people start with chicks in the spring, because it is easier to raise them in the warmer weather (chicks need extra heat the first six weeks or so, check out the Learning Center articles on raising chicks). In the spring most feed stores and farm stores will carry chicks, or take special orders you can pick up there. People who start flocks in the fall often like to get "started pullets" that is birds that are already a little older and can go right out in the coop.

There are a number of threads on training dogs to behave around chickens, ie here is a nice one where you might find some tips to help with yours https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/829562/training-teaching-a-dog-about-chickens some dogs will never be trustworthy around chickens, and cats are also a danger, especially with young chicks, a very secure coop and run is usually the best defense against predators and even household pets.

1 person likes this.
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Kelsie X2 Usually most people get chicks in the spring. There is an abundance of them and it is easier to get them outside and acclimated to the cold when they have all summer to grow up. But some people do raise them now. It might take you a bit longer to get them outside being winter coming on.

Definitely stop by the learning center. Kelsie has left you with the link. Lots of great information on raising your new birds.

Good luck on this new adventure and welcome to our flock!

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Kelsie and TwoCrows have covered it pretty well -- just wanted to say glad you've joined our flock!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Cindy. Glad you decided to join our flock. Kelsie2290 and TwoCrows have given you some good advice. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have any breed preference?

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X4 on Kelsie's great advice.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Whenever you get them you are going to need a seriously secure coop and run that keeps dogs and cats away, as well as the wild predators. If you have birds free ranging sooner or later one of the cats/dogs will be loose outside at the same time = dead birds. Welcome to BYC .

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

Kelsie's given you some good advice.

10. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] You've already been given good advice, so I just wanted to welcome you for joining our flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by