My ISA Brown has gone broody, are they good moms?

Lucifer123

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2021
The impossible happened, my 1.5 yr old ISA Brown has gone broody, all bald belly, pissed off and has consistently stayed in her nest for 3 days, defending it vigorously from the others.
Has anyone had luck with letting your ISAs brood? How are they as mothers once the chicks are here? Shes not tame but definitely not a bad hen either. And yes i do have a rooster, a Maran X whom has fathered a few of our previous clutches, although they were born through incubator or broody cochin.

The impossible happened, my 1.5 yr old ISA Brown has gone broody, all bald belly, pissed off and has consistently stayed in her nest for 3 days, defending it vigorously from the others.
Has anyone had luck with letting your ISAs brood? How are they as mothers once the chicks are here? Shes not tame but definitely not a bad hen either. And yes i do have a rooster, a Maran X whom has fathered a few of our previous clutches, although they were born through incubator or broody cochin.
The breed actually doesn't matter. Becoming broody is based on hormones.
What you describe is certainly strong broody behavior.
I would graft her to an appropriate nest to set on and give her fertile eggs if you want her to hatch.

The breed actually doesn't matter. Becoming broody is based on hormones.
What you describe is certainly strong broody behavior.
I would graft her to an appropriate nest to set on and give her fertile eggs if you want her to hatch.
She has fertile eggs and i plan on letting her hatch them out, im generally just curious of how they do in terms of motherhood and if they have strong instincts towards their offspring.
My cochins, contrary to popular belief, probably should have had CPS called on them with their clutches.

She has fertile eggs and i plan on letting her hatch them out, im generally just curious of how they do in terms of motherhood and if they have strong instincts towards their offspring.
My cochins, contrary to popular belief, probably should have had CPS called on them with their clutches.
It totally depends on the bird, not the breed. What was her personality before going broody? Where did she rank in the flock?

Have had 2 of mine go broody and I let them hatch. Both times they only let 2 of the dozen eggs hatch before they got off the nest. I wouldn't say they are great hatchers but the first raised her 2 just fine. The 2nd one chicks are just now putting feathers on but she has been watching them pretty good.

I do remove momma hen and put her in a hatching pen to raise the little ones. Mine are tame birds but they eat chicks if left to their own.

It totally depends on the bird, not the breed. What was her personality before going broody? Where did she rank in the flock?
She was around the middle, not a bully, not a leader, not a wimp. Pretty much just existed.
Had it been my bully i wouldve torn her off the nest the first day.

I have a seperate pen prepared for her in my feed room, ill be moving her there in the dark tonight. Ive got barn cats so i need to keep small chicks in an unreachable area.

I just now replied on your other thread and saw you asked the same question here. I have had several Isa Browns go broody, & all were excellent mothers. My isa browns have always been some of my friendliest, most interactive hens. Their personalities remained the same when they were broody, and they were very trusting in letting me handle/interact with their chicks.

Back
Top Bottom