My Italian Greyhound, Winter

Winter is lovely! I bet she makes a perfect service dog. The Italian Greyhound was one breed I considered when I was searching for a new dog. I like their size, short coat, and affectionate personalities, but I decided against them due to their sensitivity to cold (we live in New England).
I wanted an Iggy too and was concerned about the same thing (my hubby went as far as looking up some breeders, in case I decided to go for it).

We currently have a whippet mix so it's like having a bigger, muttier version of an Iggy. :D And a collection of coats takes care of the cold weather concerns.

We currently have a whippet mix so it's like having a bigger, muttier version of an Iggy. :D And a collection of coats takes care of the cold weather concerns.
Awesome! Photos? :D I considered Whippet and Whippet-type mixes as well. There were some Wadi dogs at a nearby rescue, but they had some behavioral issues.

I didn't think a coat would be enough to make them be comfortable going outside when they needed to. I had a dog who would just do her business indoors when it was cold out and I didn't want that again. :sick

Awesome! Photos? :D I considered Whippet and Whippet-type mixes as well. There were some Wadi dogs at a nearby rescue, but they had some behavioral issues.

I didn't think a coat would be enough to make them be comfortable going outside when they needed to. I had a dog who would just do her business indoors when it was cold out and I didn't want that again. :sick
We thankfully don't get that cold most of the time. :)

Main drawback to cold weather clothing is my dog Raja will eat clothes right off her own back (she ate part of a thundershirt and also a pair of doggie pajamas :p), so she can't wear them while unsupervised.

Honestly don't know what breeds she is. Shelter marked her as "unknown." Her body and build are exactly in line with whippet measurements so I buy her clothes from people who make sighthound coats but her head looks more terrier.

Her winter coat - she doesn't like the snood so I flip it down when it's not sleeting:
doggiecoat.jpg

With the rest of the pack:
RMT6.jpg

We thankfully don't get that cold most of the time. :)

Main drawback to cold weather clothing is my dog Raja will eat clothes right off her own back (she ate part of a thundershirt and also a pair of doggie pajamas :p), so she can't wear them while unsupervised.

Honestly don't know what breeds she is. Shelter marked her as "unknown." Her body and build are exactly in line with whippet measurements so I buy her clothes from people who make sighthound coats but her head looks more terrier.

Her winter coat - she doesn't like the snood so I flip it down when it's not sleeting:
View attachment 2949176

With the rest of the pack:
View attachment 2949178
I agree she looks terrier-ish. Cute little dog and a beautiful pack!

We did adopt a dog that the rescue guessed was a Whippet, White Shepherd, Catahoula mix, but none of that makes sense to me. It turns out she does amazingly in cold weather despite her short coat, so I'm thinking husky pit with others mixed in there.

Back
Top Bottom