My jake is turning into a straight up asshole. Help!

ephiemarie

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 12, 2013
My 8-month-old bourbon red jake has recently decided to turn into a jerk. He’s attacked everyone in the family over the last month, so I’ve resorted to carrying a rake whenever I’m near him, and the kids don’t go outside when he’s free ranging. Our turkey pair are strictly pets, and the hen is sweet as can be...however, she is submissive to me but not to her husband. They both came from separate farms as hen-raised poults, so it’s not an issue of misguided imprinting. It’s probably more related to spring mating, and I pray Clarence knocks off his antics as he gets older.

Aside from firm whacks with a rake, what else can I do to instill in his tiny head that I am the boss, and he will never be? Even though he’s a problem child, he will never be culled, nor eaten, so I need some turkey whisperer advice please!

My 8-month-old bourbon red jake has recently decided to turn into a jerk. He’s attacked everyone in the family over the last month, so I’ve resorted to carrying a rake whenever I’m near him, and the kids don’t go outside when he’s free ranging. Our turkey pair are strictly pets, and the hen is sweet as can be...however, she is submissive to me but not to her husband. They both came from separate farms as hen-raised poults, so it’s not an issue of misguided imprinting. It’s probably more related to spring mating, and I pray Clarence knocks off his antics as he gets older.

Aside from firm whacks with a rake, what else can I do to instill in his tiny head that I am the boss, and he will never be? Even though he’s a problem child, he will never be culled, nor eaten, so I need some turkey whisperer advice please!
It can also be due to the feed he is getting.

Food Effect on Aggressive Turkeys

I do not recommend hitting the turkey with anything. You can use a broom to keep him at a distance by pushing him away with it.

Some turkeys can come from a bad line of genetics. If that is the case for your tom, do not use him as a breeder. If you can't handle him, you need to get rid of him by whatever means you can tolerate. At the very least you should rehome him.

I don't have a jake nor a rooster. My drakes are not aggressive towards people and I pray for their sake that they don't get aggressive towards people. If they do, I'll sharpen the ax and then it will be straight to the chopping block. That said, I've heard/read that other opt to pick up a male bird and carry them around until they are submissive. You could give that a try, although a jake is not likely a light weight. The idea is to keep the wings pressed against their body and ignore their rude behavior until they realize who's boss. You'll have to repeat this often for a while until he becomes fully submissive. So instead of running away or keeping him at a distance, do right up to him and pick him up. Feel free to mumble curses at him while carrying him around.

Been raising turkeys and chickens for 48 years, never seen mean male behavior corrected by anything other than an axe or a rifle! Once they turn aggressive they tend to stay aggressive, if you are not willing to tolerate it then you'll need to euthanize him in whatever way suits you. Do not rehome him, you'll just be moving your problem to someone else's yard and they'll probably not appreciate it.
Sorry this has happened to you, it does from time to time for everyone who raises fowl of any kind.

Blessings,

Bo

Back
Top Bottom