My Journey Begins--1st time Incubating--Join Me!!

Kristy in WA

Songster
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Eastern Washington
My incubating journey finally begins. I have had my incubator on for a week, getting the temp and humidity set, and now my eggs have arrived. I have 2 sets, one that was shipped, and one that I picked up from a neighbor. In the shipped eggs, there were 14 of them and 6 were broken. The corner of the box was mashed, so I think they must have had a very rough trip, and possibly the box was dropped? Anyway, it is a mix of eggs, some larger brown, several very small white, and one green egg. In the eggs I got from my friend, they are all bantie eggs, nothing purebred I don't think, and I have 24 of them. Tomorrow I will put everything in the incubator. Questions:

1. How clean do the eggs have to be? I rinsed off the broken egg residue on the shipped eggs, but one has a smear of something dried to the shell, just a small smear, and another has a few spots of something dirty on it. Should I wash those more carefully?

2. There was one egg that I can't tell which side is the pointy one. Both sides are the same pontiness.

3. Today they just need to be at room temp, correct?

4. Should I candle them today? What would I be looking for?

5. Some of the eggs are from very young chickens (hatched last fall). They are with their father for the rooster. Is that a problem to inner breed like that with chickens?

Thanks, and hopefully several of you experienced and non experienced people will follow my progress!! Kristy

Most people say dont wash eggs especally if they arnt really mucky.
sickbyc.gif

If you candle it you may be able to see the air cell, thats the big end.
hu.gif

Yup let them sit at room temp till you place them in the bator
ya.gif

I candle my eggs befor I set them that way I know what they look like so I know what and if anything changes. I can also see the air cell most times that way incase I have a non pointy end egg:plbb also some eggs have cracks you cant see with the naked eye .
hmm.png

I would guess inbreeding with chickens can cause problems just like any other inbreeding but I dont know:idunno

1. If they aren't too dirty, I wouldn't wash them. You may be able to take a slightly damp paper towel and wipe some of the eggs if they are really dirty, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

2. When storing the eggs before putting them into the bator, store them at room temp. with pointy end down. If you can't tell, look for air bubble. I think the pointy side has the air bubble??? Not sure on that. Also you should store the eggs with pointy side down in an egg carton, that way you can tilt the carton once and a while(by placing something under one side) to prevent the yolks from sticking. But don't worry too much about that.

3. Yes, they need to be kept at room temp. before put in the bator. If thy are taken right from the fridge and placed in the bator, they will begin to "sweat" which will clog the shell's pores.

4. When you candle them, you should candle them at around day 4-7 because if they were just laid you may not find anything at first. Wait until day 4-7 and look for veins and sometimes you will see a dark shadow. Later on, around day 12+, you will begin to see the embryo bouncing around; all it will look like is a dark circle; this is the embryo's (forming chick) eye. But most of all, veins should be one of the first good signs that the embryo is developing nicely.

5. Yes, inbreeding can cause problems. It's also unnatural; it's like if a human daughter had a child with her father. lol yeah it's just strange. So I would NOT let father/daughter chickens breed, as it is unnatural and can cause problems.

Hope this helps and good luck!
big_smile.png

I am in the same boat. I just got a new incubator and A how to booklet. Those poor egg dont know what there in for.
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Day 1

I put the eggs in the incubator today around 10a.m. There are 32 of them, in 3 cartons. The cartons are leaned on their sides with legos. I wondered though if having legos at 101 degrees would let off some kind of bad smell. I'm trying to get my dh to cut some wood. I will turn them this afternoon, and then once more before I go to bed. My thermometers say completely different things, one says 100.2, the other says 94, with humidity ranging from 40-50's. I think I'll put the regular thermometer back in and try to keep that one right at 100-101. I guess there isn't much else to do besides wait, wait, wait!!! Kristy

Hi Kristy! I had the same questions earlier. I just put my Gold Laced Cochins in my incubator today. This is the first time for me too!

I'm so darn excited! I've had this 'bator forever but never used it. I got it because I thought I would have to use it for hatching parrot eggs but the parents are great so its coming in handy for chicks!

Good luck to you hun!

~Laurie~

Ok so I too have just put my first batch in the bator.... Same one my husband used in first grade.... Very nervous! I am not sure if I will make it through this venture!
hide.gif
bow.gif
ep.gif
barnie.gif
...... Good luck to all, sending good hatching vibes....
fl.gif
jumpy.gif
:fl

Jenn

Back
Top Bottom