My Kid's Question: Storms and Bird Behavior

chickylou

Songster
10 Years
Jan 29, 2009
Valparaiso
Hi Chicken Afficionados,

My children would like to ask you a question.

Have any of you noticed interesting behavior just before storms, tornados, hurricane weather?

We have a huge snow storm on the way, and conversation at the lunch table started brewing about storms and how animals sometimes let you know in advance.

Have any of you experienced some interesting behavior or have any storm stories to tell?

Our six children thank you!
big_smile.png
(J, A, N, S, F, I and Mama and Papa)

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif

Last summer I noticed a ton of activity @ my hummingbird feeder.
Shortly after a huge hail storm came though. It seemed to me that they knew it was coming & were stocking up to get through it, but
idunno.gif

Nadine

I have seen the wild birds mob my feeders before a storm, but I've never really noticed anything similar with my chickens. They might not worry about food so much because they have it available all the time.

It does seem that in the summer, when the chickens are out freeranging, they manage to mosy back to the safety and comfort of the coop right before a big thunderstorm hits.

seeing as how nobody else was any help with chicken observations...I won't either...but growing up, we used to watch the fire ants...as busy as they are they double time it before storms. The old timers used to always say that you knew bad weather was coming if you saw lots of dead skunks (extra activity got more hit on the roads) Just some more useless opinions for you!

Quote:
Teach if you read her OP she asked about animals
Hi Chicken Afficionados,

My children would like to ask you a question.

Have any of you noticed interesting behavior just before storms, tornados, hurricane weather?

We have a huge snow storm on the way, and conversation at the lunch table started brewing about storms and how animals sometimes let you know in advance.

Have any of you experienced some interesting behavior or have any storm stories to tell?

Our six children thank you! (J, A, N, S, F, I and Mama and Papa)​

Back
Top Bottom