My KrazyKoop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by krazykoop, Nov 3, 2016.

1. krazykoop

krazykoop New Egg

Nov 1, 2016
    Ohio
    Never did I think I would have chickens, or a rooster in my care. My son started his flock from twelve and found himself with two Silkies and two Barred Rock roos, the rest are Rhode Island Red hens.
    He convinced me to help him out by adopting one BR roo and two hens.

My husband had built a wonderful 12 x 14 dog barn/shed for our (5) Keeshonden, however, over the last fourteen years they have all gone to Rainbow Bridge......so, why not convert the barn for chickens!

We spent several days inside and out taking care to give our new adoptees plenty of room and safety. Thanks to several websites, I do believe we were successful! The chickens adapted quickly and Roody Rooster has become extremely vocal over the past two weeks.

One hen decided it was unseasonably warm, so jumped into "broody", but we were successful in nipping that in the bud. We have two nest boxes, but they aren't interested at this point. They have explored everything else in sight. The lush green run is now a dust bowl.

I haven't let them free roam yet because of the many hawks we have in the neighborhood. My outside cat, Mr. Snickers, is not too fond of Roody, but he is still trying to figure out why there is so much noise coming from the dog barn where he used to visit up in the rafters from time to time. He keeps checking them out, but stays his distance.

I suppose the best is yet to come. I'm not certain if this adventure is for me or if I want just eggs or chicks......as it has come upon quite quickly. I suppose by Spring I will know. So far, life is good!

P.S.
    I used sand on one end of the barn, under the roost bars (draped a poop tarp under the roost bars) and on the other end I used pine flakes. I love how easy it is to keep clean....I have made it my morning chore and the sand is the best! I highly recommend the poop tarp, as well. My husband took a metal cat scooper and attached it to an old broom handle....wow, makes clean up a breeze!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us and thanks for the introduction. Whether you want eggs, or chicks, I would not be surprised if your flock increases significantly with time - they are strangely addictive.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Have you visited the Learning Center? It's a great place to start a chicken education.

4. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thank you for such an interesting introduction, it was fun to read. Sounds like you are well on your way to being another crazy chicken lady, lol.

It's nice you joined us!

5. The Duck Ladie

The Duck Ladie Duck Addict

Feb 23, 2016
    Hello, and welcome to BYC! I may not be able to help you with chickens, but if ever you get ducks, I might be able to help! It's great to have you!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, KrazyKoop, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! So glad you could join us, and I hope you make yourself at home here!

8. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG]

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. littlejohnacres

littlejohnacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2016
    Casstown, Ohio
    Welcome! I'm in Casstown, not far from you![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by