My largely recycled, reused, repurposed, ReStore Coop

Quote:
Yeah, the feeder and waterer you see in the inside-coop photo are the little ones I used in the brooder and Tyra, one of my Black Jersey Giants had her claw up there and scratched it over only seconds after that photo was taken. I have a larger feeder and waterer out in the run that is more Tyra proof but thought the smaller one might work overnight in the coop. I'm going to try to place it inside a ceramic flowerpot base tonight and see if I can keep it upright. If not, maybe they can just go without food overnight.

As for hubby, let me state that he is an extremely hard working man who generally leaves for work before 6:00 AM Monday morning and I don't see until late Friday night because his job requires constant travel. After 23 years of marriage we've learned to be (or at least try to be) completely honest with each other and I'd rather he said "Get chickens under the condition that I don't have to do anything" than say "No, I don't want you to have them" or "Sure go ahead" and then be surly or resentful about it. While I'm sure he'll be very happy to eat the eggs I can also be pretty sure that he'll be very happy to cook me a fabulous omelet or a chocolate souffle because he is a fine chef!
big_smile.png

Most of us get chicks then figure we better start building a coop.....I don't think I've read anywhere about anyone making sure they have chicken sitters BEFORE they even start building....so RIGHT THERE I'm way impressed!!
lol.png

You then go and build it on your own AND use a ton of scrap materials????

bow.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
love.gif
ya.gif
thumbsup.gif
It looks great too!!

Great coop and run AND a great story to boot. That is a deluxe model.

My only concern is the chicken wire. I'm retrofitting my entire run with hardware cloth because I've read that raccoons can bite through chicken wire and big dogs can tear it apart. Maybe you don't have to worry about those types of predators and only need the lower three feet wrapped in hardware cloth. (I hope so)

Not trying to quibble over a very nice job well done. Kudos for using all the recycled materials.

Quote:
You may be completely right...although I obviously hope you are not. We have a wide assortment of predators here in Colorado including mountain lions (which I've never seen but have had friends lose a dog to) bears (which we see a lot in the summer time, mostly at night) to coyote and foxes (foxes sited more frequently than coyotes but I know they're around) owls, hawks, raccoon, I think bobcats and maybe even some sort of pine marten or other weaselie creatures. I plan on keeping the chickens inside their coop from dusk until dawn and pray that the location of the coop (between my house and my moms house) will deter daytime predators capable of tearing through the chicken wire/hardware cloth combo. Wish me luck. While I've been very frugal with the construction of my coop and run, I sure don't want to be "penny wise and pound foolish" and waste all that money and hard work, not to mention eight chickens who I've become quite attached too because I skimped on security.

I'm trying to find all the Free scraps I can to save me money. and just in case I don't build it good nuff So i'm not out alot of money

Today someone messaged me after I put up add in m local freecycle that they have some Fabric olders... you know them HUGE contraptions that have huge rolls of fabric on them at Joann fabrics.. she has about 10 of them in her shed and said If i can dismantle them I can have them. They will be Perfect for the Frame of the Coop and Mabey a new run.. I'm serriously thinking of moving it from under the porch and into the back yard. not sure yet. once I get all the materials for the actual hen house I'll decide.

the coop really looks great and i am sure any chicken you have will be glad to have the light left on for them there. enjoy and again every thing looks great.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom