My last 2 chances for pullets! SW and BR (I think)

MoSo

In the Wild Plum Yonder
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
near Crater Lake NP, Oregon
Well, since 2 out of 3 of my EEs are probably boys, here are my other two chances for pullets.

(Edited to add: these are 5 week old pullets.)

First up, the Silver Wyandotte, Wynona (these chickens are all named for singers. Next batch will probably be authors and then characters and then... who knows?):

General body shape
50509_sw1.jpg

Pea (rose?) comb, definitely pinkish, but pretty flat and undeveloped
50509_sw2.jpg

Next, Billie (Holliday) the chick who is either a Black sex link (in which case I'm in trouble) or a Barred Rock:

50509_br3.jpg

50509_br2.jpg

I THINK these are both pullets, mostly in comparison to the EE that I KNOW is a roo. Very different behavior, posture, but that might be breed difference as much as gender difference.

Last edited:
The SLW is for sure a rooster waaaay too much pink for a pullet of that age.

The BR from the coloring looks like it may be a pullet, but there's some pink showing in it's wattles too so I'd say the jury is still out on that onw.

Last edited:
Yikes - I hope at least the BR is a pullet, otherwise 4 out of my 6 "pullets" are roos. Even 3 out of 6 is pretty discouraging. Judging by the craigslist postings around here, getting rid of roosters is just about impossible.

Last edited:
The first is a roo. The second is a girl. I had one like that and her comb was just a little early. She will just have what some call " a leghorn comb " that is long and floppy on hens. She also is a girl because the feathers on her saddle area are thick and large at the end unlike a roosters which would be pointy.
wink.png

Here is the leghorn comb : https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/36026_6534579_032.jpg

Whew, thanks. I thought the BR looked a lot more, well, pullet-shaped. She's also one of my favorites. Along with the maybe-cockerel EE.

Last edited:
At five weeks, I found this to be helpful. Hope it helps you!
According to UC Davis Veterinary Care Program.
2. Physical Characteristics (4-6 weeks of age)
a. Comb – The cockerels comb is medium size and pinkish, the pullets is small and yellowish.
b. Legs – The cockerel’s legs are sturdy and long, the pullets are finer and shorter.
c. Tail – The cockerel’s tail is stumpy and curved, the pullets is longer and straight.
d. Back – The cockerel has a thin line of stub feathers down the center of his back, the pullet has more advanced feathering along the center of her back.
e. Side of neck, flank and crop – The feathering in the cockerel in these areas is poorly advanced, the pullets feathering in these areas is well advanced.
f. Wing bows – In the cockerel the wing bows are bare, in pullets the wing bows are covered with small feathers.​

Back
Top Bottom