1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Leghorn Hen Is Missing !!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Renegade, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Renegade

Renegade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    She freeranges with my Marans and guineas and has never wandered off. I'm very upset [​IMG] I've had her for two years and it was a very rare day that she wouldn't lay an egg. I saw her this morning when I fed but she was no where to be seen this afternoon when I got home from class.

Donna [​IMG]

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I hope you find her. She may be hiding in a squeezable spot?

3. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Do you free range your chickens? Maybe she joined a wild flock or a Rooster?

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

My guess would be she is hideing in a nest somewhere....trying to surprise you with a bunch of babies in a few weeks! I sure hope this is where she is, and comes out in the morning to eat. If she does...try to follow her..Hopefully you will find a great surprise!

5. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    Quote:i agree

6. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I hope you other guys are right but I am betting on the worst the most likely is that she is hidden some where.
    Hope she shows Up.
    Henry

7. Renegade

Renegade Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2007
    Griffin, GA
    Thanks for the support! My DH just doesn't understand.She does freerange with my Marans. There is a rooster with them. I am very much afraid that something has happened to her. Leghorns don't go broody.

Donna

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

They CAN...especially if they haven't read the book that says that they can't go broody...

I hope for a good outcome.

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    It's not that Leghorns can't go broody, any female chicken can. Leghorns are aong the least likely to go broody.
    Sorry to say a more likely outcome is......well, less positive.

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I wouldn't worry a bit till dusk fall and if she doesn't home to roost. My birds disapear for the day and reappear at night. They free range so go anywhere they want. Hope she comes home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by